Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

[AG3 idea] Deleted Username Lottery

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 7, '10 at 9:03pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,090 posts

Well, the original idea is to only put the deleted usernames into the lottery, which are accounts that have been inactive for quite some time, a period that is longer than a vacationing and shorter than too much of a wait. So if there is a reasonable time limit before an account is deleted, then this idea can pull off.

Posted Nov 7, '10 at 9:37pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,288 posts

Yeah, I still don't like this idea.  What if I went to college and was inactive for a while.  Then when I went to activate my profile, I found my account didn't exist anymore and there was another Joe96.  Maybe there could be something where if you know you aren't going to be on the site, you could say you are leaving and then someone else could have the name that way.

Posted Nov 12, '10 at 5:59pm

IcyIndia

IcyIndia

545 posts

Yeah, a consent system would be good. I think that, if you did change your  username, there would be a little label saying "my last username was 'xxxxx'" This way people could say, Oh, I know this person.

Maybe there could be a list on the signup page with cool, unused names, for people who can't think of any. Of course, it would have to be updated whenever someone made an account with that name, so no one tried to use a name twice.

Posted Nov 12, '10 at 6:02pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,090 posts

Maybe there could be a list on the signup page with cool, unused names, for people who can't think of any.

THIS idea I like. When registering there can be a button with names to pick from that have been used, but are from unused, deleted accounts. Banned users are still in the database, so those names shouldn't be a problem.

Posted Nov 12, '10 at 6:24pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Hey guys, I'm gonna close this thread. New ideas need new threads, and we've decided NOT to do the username lottery.