ForumsNews and Feedback[AG3 idea] Deleted Username Lottery

42 8398
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Larry and I just discussed the idea of having a "lottery" system for usernames which are freed up through an eventual user deletion system for dropping inactive users -- if we even build such a thing.

I told Larry I wanted to build it auction-style, but Larry's not keen on the idea of turning AP into a "currency" to spend on things, and instead came up with the idea of a lottery where we let 100 qualifying users put their account into a pool to "win" a new username. Qualifying, of course, would depend on when you last changed your username, etc.

Thoughts?

• 42 Replies
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

Sockpuppet

uh?

also the requirement should probably a certain amount of karma and if if a mod see's a usual troller when he/she is patrolling the forums they can just take away the ability to change karma levels indefinitely
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

The proper term for creating numerous alternate accounts to support yours is sockpuppeting. The Merit Recognition was taken down because users sockpuppeted by making alts and nominating themselves. Referrals were taken down because people make numerous sockpuppet accounts to give themselves referral points.

Think of a puppeteer controlling multiple puppets.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

well we can always lmit number of karma points able to distribute by someone,certain amount of karma (high preferably),or the only mods option

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Limit it to say giving 2 Karma points a day and receiving 4 a day?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I'm a little confused on how you guys came up with this, to be honest

I had the idea at lunch while Larry and I discussed deleting inactive accounts, and how so many people would want dibs on the username "1337" that we should give you folks a way to compete for the names.

display names

We don't want to do display names or nicknames, because that potentially reserves twice as many usernames as there are right now.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

would keep out the people who seek to change username every few days.

We'd limit username changes to every 6 months or something.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

We don't want to do display names or nicknames, because that potentially reserves twice as many usernames as there are right now.

Alright, I understand that..

I had the idea at lunch while Larry and I discussed deleting inactive accounts, and how so many people would want dibs on the username "1337" that we should give you folks a way to compete for the names.

Heh, that's interesting. Not all names would be in such wild demand though.
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think this is a good idea to spend a certain amount of AP to buy things ... and make like an EXP system for the Ranks?

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Hehe, the admins have lunch. I can haz steal those vege chips things the office was madly into a while ago?

In my opinion, a currency could be created which involved playing the games, i.e getting credits for completing achievements, as that cannot really be spammed for. But then, for those who don't have enough time (or skill) to play the games, it could be unfair.

The idea of a lottery is somewhat interesting, it could cause debate though...

Have a thread where people pick a number between 1-100, and then use random.org?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No need to use random.org ... we ARE programmers, we can build it ourselves ;o)

... count the users who want it
... pick a random number between 1 and the total count
... that person wins the name

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

In my opinion, a currency could be created which involved playing the games, i.e getting credits for completing achievements, as that cannot really be spammed for. But then, for those who don't have enough time (or skill) to play the games, it could be unfair.

The currency should also involve other activities too, but I'm lost to think of any right now.. Games are good.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Okay, fair enough

If I can build a random generator in high school programming 101, they can ROFL
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Flag

... count the users who want it
... pick a random number between 1 and the total count
... that person wins the name

Hehe, I forgot.

Programmers can do anything!
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

One of my college projects was building a random number generator from scratch, taking system "entropy" (signal noise on the plugs and ports like the user moving their mouse) and using that to calculate something as close to perfectly random as possible. Good times.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Just keep a sharp eye out for inactive members who submitted games. XD

Showing 16-30 of 42