ForumsNews and FeedbackIP Bans.

4 5212
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

As for as I am aware of, AG doesn't have IP banning. Would it be possible for it to be considered for AG3? I've seen a few nasty people get themselves banned and return with a few sockpuppet accounts to circumvent the ban and/or spread their hatred of the users and the moderators.

• 4 Replies
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Sockpuppet is your favourite word at the moment isn't it...

The silly thing about IP banning is that I have a different IP every time I turn my computer on, because of the wireless modem and the fact that it is dynamic...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

^ this. Although this poses the problem of proxy sites. If blocked as well, users that wish to log in via the proxy site may not be able to. I've been all for IP banning for months, except it's this circumventing business that just undermines it.

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

Although this poses the problem of proxy sites. If blocked as well, users that wish to log in via the proxy site may not be able to. I've been all for IP banning for months, except it's this circumventing business that just undermines it.

Yes , It's real easy to get around IP Banning ... Just need some computer knowledge and some programs then BAM! Your just got past it.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We have a few other things we might try to keep the sockpuppeting to a minimum. I'm not going to discuss our strategy here.

To answer the OP, banning an IP address is a bad idea, especially with cable modem systems which rotate out IP addresses on DHCP leases. Imagine how mad you'd be if your next door neighbor got banned, then you ended up with his IP address a week later.

Or if you played at school (ahem, after class), and realized some forum troll for the school's IP address perma-banned.

Showing 1-4 of 4