Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Forum Tool Updates

Posted Apr 7, '11 at 4:54pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,954 posts

I have an idea. I'm not really sure if its quite important to forums, but here it goes. Perhaps there should be a counter that shows how many posts you have in a certain forum sections. I believe that, when viewing someone's profile, it could show what this person is like on AG. there may be other benefits too that I can't think of. The only thing I can think of now that would be negative would be the amount of effort that would go into implementing that.

Posted Apr 7, '11 at 6:06pm

Kevin4762

Kevin4762

2,534 posts

Well, there is only one forum with the least amount of spam in all of the interwebs.

XGen. Why? Because they have a secret hiding spot for where all the spam goes. Where? Spammerland! Since people can spam all they want in Spammerland, they don't do it in other threads. Therefore, low ban rates, low spam rates, and happy community.

Obviously, this won't be implemented in AG because SL will overtake the Tavern in terms of posts, but it's just an idea. Cormyn or some other will say, well AG is different and nothing that ever works in other forums could ever work in AG because AG is different, or some ****.

That is all. :|

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 2:05am

Efan

Efan

3,162 posts

Need you to describe this a little more, I don't understand the idea.

I was inspired by the currently about thread and the forum games section. What I mean is that a user accesses the forums and whatever it's going to be pops up (i'm assuming it will still be a row of links) and there is a section called the lounge. The user clicks on this and what appears is a thread. Not a forum, just a place set out kind of like the currently about thread which will be used in a similar theme of conversation except that there is no rewarding system just like the forum games. Which means that spam wont necessarily be all that much of a problem I think because all that user will get is an "education" from the regulars there or a mod. Think of it as an equivalent for live chat in the way that we can all communicate like we did in the good old days of the currently about thread.

I hope you understood that :/

By the way, I think that spam under three words shouldn't apear when posted, autommatically deleted. I understand that there can be stuff that needs to be said in under seven, but having anything under three autodeleted would be great.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 7:36pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,962 posts

Knight

Perhaps there should be a counter that shows how many posts you have in a certain forum sections.

Yes, we've already discussed this, and the idea of having the last forum threads you participated in available in a list on your profile page... this could also be public for others to see what you're up to as well. I'm not sure that we'd post any forum activity in the "Activity Stream" because it might get a little spammy.

Another popular feature users as for is to mark which threads they've read (or not) or highlight forum threads in some way that they've participated in that have had responses since they last read the new replies, etc.

Cormyn or some other will say, well AG is different and nothing that ever works in other forums could ever work in AG because AG is different

Watch your tone, please. Site rules say to play nice with others, especially admins...

As far as a "spammerland" forum, we don't currently plan to have any forum free of moderation, and honestly there's no real reason to have one. Arguing that giving the users an area to write spam just means they'll still try to do it elsewhere because "well, you allow spam over THERE..." We will ALWAYS carry our strict rules on spamming, period.

Other "spammerland" posts were (and will be) deleted because they're irrelevant.

Think of it as an equivalent for live chat

Gotcha. Well, we're already planning a live chat system at some point after AG3 launches. We're also planning an "ask a moderator for help" sort of mailbox where you can write a message, and any moderator can answer it. We'll probably use some of these questions to build a new FAQ area on the site, but that's outside of the 'forum' topic we're discussing here.

I think that spam under three words shouldn't apear when posted, autommatically deleted. I understand that there can be stuff that needs to be said in under seven

Honestly, I kind of feel like that's a gray area, because forum games like "count to 100" only require a one-word response. On the flip side, if I'm typing all of this, and you post a reply of "Okay" ... that's where we consider the response as 'spammy' or "unhelpful to the conversation" and delete it.

Perhaps as a compromise, we'd have an settings like we do with saying whether a forum awards Reputation for participating, but now we'd have a setting for a minimum word count to stop the user from posting yet. So unless they wrote, say, 10 words, the 'submit' button wouldn't even show up. But then we face the same problem with game comments here where users write "sucked, but here's extra words so my comment is over 7 words so it's not spam" ... which is why we're always going to need moderators.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 9:48pm

Ghgt99

Ghgt99

1,941 posts

Yes, we've already discussed this,

Whew. I try to have less posts in the FG sections then other sections.

That would help. A lot.

Posted Apr 9, '11 at 12:49am

gaboloth

gaboloth

1,629 posts

"count to 100" only require a one-word response.

Lol, that's really not the right example. The main point of the count to 100 was to don't make < 7 words posts to keep the moddies away.
*sends a subliminal message about CT100 NOT being spam*

Posted Apr 9, '11 at 9:53pm

thaboss

thaboss

1,667 posts

*sends a subliminal message about CT100 NOT being spam*

i think it's too late for that...

with the whole, "don't let them post if it's not 7 words" i like Efan's idea of it being not accepted if it's under 3 words, not 7 words.

OR secretly just not award points for comments under 3 (or 7) words but let them show up, so all the spammers who never look at the stickies or even the forums for that matter, still think they are getting away with spamming, but the're no getting any points!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!

Posted Apr 9, '11 at 10:34pm

Armpit

Armpit

803 posts

There should be a separate section for contests. I've noticed in the past that contests are scattered around the site forums, and I think it would be easier to moderate them as well as participate in them if they were all in one place.

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 12:35am

loloynage2

loloynage2

4,359 posts

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but maybe a forum history? It would show the recent treads you posted in.

I think the highest post count I've seen was ~8400?

It would be funny if you said:
I think the highest post count I've seen was OVER 9000!!!! XD

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 12:36am

loloynage2

loloynage2

4,359 posts

treads

Oops, I mean thread.

Reply to Forum Tool Updates

You must be logged in to post a reply!