Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Forum Tool Updates

Posted Apr 23, '11 at 1:53am

david99noisy

david99noisy

9 posts

* Laughs because this post proves my point
Wow, now I feel the need to use the edit button. Earlier someone mentioned the addition of being able to copy and paste images, instead of storing it, you could find some way to automatically get the link when the image is pasted. That would take some staggering amount of work but its just an idea.

Posted Apr 23, '11 at 8:21pm

MonBon

MonBon

6 posts

Could there be a way to search specifically through the forums? Because sometimes I want to find a thread but I don't have time to look through 100 pages of forums to find the one thread I'm looking for. Just a suggestion :)

Posted Apr 25, '11 at 10:24am

thaboss

thaboss

882 posts

Could there be a way to search specifically through the forums? Because sometimes I want to find a thread but I don't have time to look through 100 pages of forums to find the one thread I'm looking for. Just a suggestion :)

there is a forum search, but it's not that good. but it does help me a lot... it's a google custom search, not an AG made search

Posted Apr 25, '11 at 4:53pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

$0.02

That doesn't look relevant.

The person put that there to indicate that they put their own two cents on the thread.

Could there be a way to search specifically through the forums?

As thaboss showed you, there is a forum-search. But it doesn't work all that well. It'll show threads with those specific words spread out or not, so it'll give you a lot of pages, but it's better than nothing.

I'd like a forum-search on the new site, but it all depends on what forum engine that they decide to use and I don't know much about programming so I don't know how difficult it'll be for them to implement it.

I don't have any ideas at the moment since most things have already been said in here.

Posted Apr 27, '11 at 2:56am

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

edit button: probably the #1 feature that's been requested.

forum search will be a high priority

I like the idea of having an archive you can search through, but only moving sticky threads to the new forum. We might need some way of letting users petition that their threads be copied over from the old system to the new system, though, especially those pertaining to creative writing, etc.

For that matter, we could probably just scan the existing forums and say "anything with more than __ replies to __views gets moved to the new system."

The database we've been using for building part of AG3 has some really nice full text search (FTS) capabilities, which will find English phrases extremely quickly. Unfortunately, it won't find non-English words very well, or things like strings of punctuation symbols if you're trying to find some old thread with ASCII art in it, etc.

Most of the forums I've looked at have their own way of breaking down a forum message (original topic message and every reply) into 'tokens' in order to build efficient search queries. Many forums try to develop their own algorithms of how to best find content. My opinion is that if our forums are English-only anyway, we might as well just let the database handle the workload... that's what it's there for.

One algorithm I wrote using some of the FTS capabilities allows us to use the new search feature on AG3 to pull up a list of about 24,000 usernames (of 1.5 million usernames in the system) to search for the word 'game', plus sort them in a ranked order and alphabetized, in about 90 milliseconds. Part of this algorithm was the database doing its thing, and part of it was me writing some extra algorithms on top of what the database is doing. We'll continue to look for ways to streamline forum searches as we look at other forum engines.

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 5:11pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

728 posts

Sorry if this was said already like a dozen times, but lately ive notice Armor Games Forums doesnt have a signature. Most other forum sites do, perhaps you are including this in Armor Games Version. If so I look forward to it :D

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 7:36pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Sigs have been discussed, and frankly, I'm not a fan.

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 12:13pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,647 posts

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before, but what if you could have the maker of the thread have the ability to clear spam from the thread. It would be especially helpful for the contests and battle of the threads. Of course, if the maker deletes it, it would not effect karma points, due to biases and such things toward certain users.

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 9:36pm

Paarfam

Paarfam

1,188 posts

Suggestions
-More reliable mods
-Thread creator can have the power of a mod in his own thread
-Search bar
-List of player's created threads on player's profile page
-Different text colors

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 9:38pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

-More reliable mods

Explain.

-Thread creator can have the power of a mod in his own thread

That'll go bad - people would abuse the power so much. It's easy to just tell a Moderator to do stuff in a thread rather than give a user Moderator thread powers.

-Different text colors

That'll confuse members and is rather irritating to read a lot of different colors.

Reply to Forum Tool Updates

You must be logged in to post a reply!