ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Tool Updates

438 148616
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

In a nutshell, we don't know.

That should clear up everyone's questions, right? Good ...

As a development team and as a company, we know that the forums are extremely important to some of you, and we know that some of you have put a lot (!!!!) of effort into building up the community here, especially those who have written the more creative poetic stuff. C'mon, how many of you have > 5,000 posts, raise your hands. That amount of effort is *staggering*. Seriously, I think the highest post count I've seen was ~8400? Over 2.5 years, that'd be like 10 posts EVERY DAY since AG2 launched.

The effort of migrating that much data from AG2 to AG3 is almost as staggering, since the guy who wrote the AG2 forum software didn't make it terribly efficient, and the way we're linking accounts, etc., between the two systems might cause problems. Trying to migrate it to AG3 will be a pretty big job, and it will probably fall in my lap since I'm sorta the database guru around here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's up to me whether I want to do it or not. If Dan says do it, I do it.

Whether we start over, and wipe everything, and build a new forum engine, or implement someone else's forum software, remains to be discussed internally because it's not a critical feature for us yet. That doesn't mean it's not important to us, it just means we have to get core features working like, y'know, logging in.

Will we migrate old posts into the new forum software? It depends whether we can find an easy way to make the old forum data compatible. Nothing's *impossible* but it's also not practical for us to spend development time (read: dollars) for us to spend a big amount of effort trying to sort stuff out so it's all perfect and pristine.

If we start over with forum posts, will we archive the old forums? Again, nothing's impossible, but I can't answer that right now.

What will happen to your armor points for forum posts? Well, since armor points are also up in the air regarding the same sort of "wipe vs migrate" discussions, I can't answer that question right now either.

Please direct people asking about the future of AG2 forums to this thread if they start asking questions in other forums/threads. I'll post updates to this thread as I have more information.

• 438 Replies
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Ok.
You said "in the current rules", will you change these also?

Rapyion
Rapyion
2,300 posts
Shepherd

Hello, I'm Rapyion, (As you all can see) I was wondering. I reply pretty much in the Forum Games Section, but still comes out as 2 posts. (But after this, it'll be 3) In AG3, will they fix this? Thanks for reading and replying (If you have).

darkrai097
darkrai097
862 posts
Nomad

Posts do not give points in the forum games section, and your post count does not go up.

Rapyion
Rapyion
2,300 posts
Shepherd

Alright, I see. Thank you very much for the reply, Darkrai.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

You said "in the current rules", will you change these also?

No, the forums and game comments will still need to be written in English on AG3.

I reply pretty much in the Forum Games Section, but still comes out as 2 posts

Thanks, darkrai097, for answering. We'll probably have better control over this sort of thing in AG3. The reason we don't increment the counter right now is because the auto-recalculation of points needs to make sure you don't get awarded points after the fact if some of your posts came from a forum where points are not awarded.

Since AG3 won't award points for Forum posts, but rather will use the Reputation system once we build it, we'll be able to show the actual amount of forum posts you've had.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I haven't read anything about this and I think that it belongs in here because it's related to the forums in some way. Will there be a place showing the forum post rankings? Like the AP leader-boards, but with forum posts.

jamiexultraninja
jamiexultraninja
10 posts
Nomad

I have not seen this question asked yet, but let's say the old forums are not archived. Will we retain our forum posts and ap?

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@jamiexultraninja

I cannot confidently answer the part about forum posts, though from what I've read it would seem that your count would be reset.

To answer the part of your question about AP:
1) That's a little off-topic, but here is a link to the migration of AP discussion
2) From what I've read in AGv3 forums, the current AP will be split into two categories: a form of new AP which will be earned via rating games, submitting high scores, etc.; and, a Reputation system that will be a meter rather than points and will be affected by user posts, votes up (possibly down) to a user's posts, etc.

***NOTE: As cormyn has said a plethora of times, much of this is still likely to change!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Will we retain our forum posts and ap?

You will likely receive an achievement for the number of forum posts you had on AG2. Points for forum posts will not transfer to AG3.

If we make the AG2 forum posts available in whatever new Forum engine we use for AG3, and migrate all posts, then they'll still be available for voting, etc.
Rulecrown
Rulecrown
15 posts
Nomad

why dont we introduce a chatbox?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

You will likely receive an achievement for the number of forum posts you had on AG2. Points for forum posts will not transfer to AG3.

Really? That's a good thing! Have you got an idea about the goals to reach to receive achievements (100 posts, 1000 posts, 2500 posts...)?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That sounds good.
If we make the AG2 forum posts available in whatever new Forum engine we use for AG3, and migrate all posts, then they'll still be available for voting, etc.

So if you don't migrate the posts for everyone will everyone on have zero posts?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

quote fail, re-try:

So if you don't migrate the posts for everyone will everyone on have zero posts?

Yeah, although since you'll get some sort of Achievement for your AG2 forum posts, you'll still get some sort of recognition. Maybe we'll modify the forum engine we choose to show the highest AG2 legacy Achievement you were awarded for your old forum posts or something.

Have you got an idea about the goals to reach to receive achievements (100 posts, 1000 posts, 2500 posts...)?

No, but feel free to ask that in the Achievements sticky.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

in ag v3, will posts in the forum games section count as forum posts, since we already arent going to get anything for posting in the forums?

Showing 91-105 of 438