ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Tool Updates

438 148933
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

In a nutshell, we don't know.

That should clear up everyone's questions, right? Good ...

As a development team and as a company, we know that the forums are extremely important to some of you, and we know that some of you have put a lot (!!!!) of effort into building up the community here, especially those who have written the more creative poetic stuff. C'mon, how many of you have > 5,000 posts, raise your hands. That amount of effort is *staggering*. Seriously, I think the highest post count I've seen was ~8400? Over 2.5 years, that'd be like 10 posts EVERY DAY since AG2 launched.

The effort of migrating that much data from AG2 to AG3 is almost as staggering, since the guy who wrote the AG2 forum software didn't make it terribly efficient, and the way we're linking accounts, etc., between the two systems might cause problems. Trying to migrate it to AG3 will be a pretty big job, and it will probably fall in my lap since I'm sorta the database guru around here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's up to me whether I want to do it or not. If Dan says do it, I do it.

Whether we start over, and wipe everything, and build a new forum engine, or implement someone else's forum software, remains to be discussed internally because it's not a critical feature for us yet. That doesn't mean it's not important to us, it just means we have to get core features working like, y'know, logging in.

Will we migrate old posts into the new forum software? It depends whether we can find an easy way to make the old forum data compatible. Nothing's *impossible* but it's also not practical for us to spend development time (read: dollars) for us to spend a big amount of effort trying to sort stuff out so it's all perfect and pristine.

If we start over with forum posts, will we archive the old forums? Again, nothing's impossible, but I can't answer that right now.

What will happen to your armor points for forum posts? Well, since armor points are also up in the air regarding the same sort of "wipe vs migrate" discussions, I can't answer that question right now either.

Please direct people asking about the future of AG2 forums to this thread if they start asking questions in other forums/threads. I'll post updates to this thread as I have more information.

• 438 Replies
ron4118
ron4118
3 posts
Nomad

i think for the new version it should have a random game on armor games button that gets you a random game.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

i think for the new version it should have a random game on armor games button that gets you a random game.

This is funny because it's the opposite of what usually happens.

The idea is under consideration, thaboss thinks.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I DON'T like something like this. I love the AG2 forums because they're so neat and clean and nice and stuff.

I also agree. The design of the AG forums are like honestly the best out there. I hate the look of a lot of them. Design is key to keeping some people interested.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

^ Yep, I enjoy these forums because of how simple and neat they are.

And if you're wondering what subforums Cormyn is thinking of adding and moving them around then click here. Not sure if many of you have seen that, so I'm just posting it for reference. I personally like the ideas of the new ones and the setup, but "General Topics" could be renamed "The Courtyard" and "Developer's Corner" "The Forge" to stick with the medieval theme.

Warriorfrombeyond
Warriorfrombeyond
231 posts
Nomad

the only thing really is add a search button.maybe. it annoys me when i cant find anything.i spend to long looking.

BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

I went onto the beta and personally prefer the layout of this site

baris4500
baris4500
23 posts
Nomad

well lets just hope AG3 will be better

Armordogan96
Armordogan96
4 posts
Peasant

I hope that finding friends get easier + I think layout is just find please don't change it much

greenpeople2007
greenpeople2007
399 posts
Nomad

Account flagging, there are people who make accounts just to advertise. There should be a way to flag the accounts that spam to prevent further spam.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

i think we need a list of forums where you've posted, because if you post on heaps of different ones, it can be very hard to keep track

emoonoff
emoonoff
1 posts
Nomad

a good frindlist wo you can see in the startpage

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

a good frindlist wo you can see in the startpage

You mean, a friends list that you can see from the homepage? I don't see why that would be a beneficial use of bandwidth; I mean, you can already see it from your own profile, and it only takes one click to get there. What would be the use of implementing this (and stealing the idea from Facebook) just to save one click?
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

I agree with Ernie, the friend list would just clutter up the homepage and make it more difficult to navigate

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

i think we need a list of forums where you've posted, because if you post on heaps of different ones, it can be very hard to keep track

I believe that'd take quite a while to actually do and it would take up a lot of room on the site. If you really want to know where you've posted then you should save the important threads/threads that interest you in Notepad or something else.

However, I would like if our post count was clickable in the forums and even on our profile so we could see the last few pages of posts or something like that. It'd be neater than having a big space on your profile taken up by all the threads you've posted in.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

However, I would like if our post count was clickable in the forums and even on our profile so we could see the last few pages of posts or something like that. It'd be neater than having a big space on your profile taken up by all the threads you've posted in.

That's a really good idea, I realise now that my idea would make things more difficult, and yours is a more condensed version anyway, much more user friendly
Showing 226-240 of 438