ForumsNews and Feedbackuser-rated game difficulty (was: Hard Game Who Can Know ?)

29 9219
Blackwolves990
Blackwolves990
331 posts
Shepherd

have never know if the games we play are difficult or easy.

We can make the list of players who rated this game

For difficulty level (colony)

Very easy to 789,765 players

Easy 1,657,395 players

Medium 634,613 players

More or less difficult 1,586,463 players

Difficult 239,785 players

really hard 189,786 players

incredibly difficult 557,856 players

Did you ever think you could say they had games that were difficult
moderator, I would like to discuss with you a fact.
I saw several topics, written in bold (Hard Game)

I think by doing this, there would be a lot of happy

Reason

1. A new way to get point

2. An easier way to find out more about a game

3. One way of fair sharing

While respecting the rule of point:

2 point by evaluating

I want to know your opinion

• 29 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

That should help present a better picture of the difficulty. Should help if a game's difficulty is severely unbalanced. The best rating comes with beating a game though.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Mah I don't think it's a good idea. Many games are very easy at the beginning but their difficulty grows every level and they have a brutal final boss. Or maybe games with not intuitive controls that become easy only when you learn to master them... If this will become an AG3 feature I don't think I will use it.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Maybe that difficulty rating would have to be built into the games themselves though so gamedevs can help us prove that a user actually *played* the game for a few levels/minutes, before looking at the first screen and rating it "impossible"

Should be much more believable than what is said on the game-rated page, although I believe it's just shifting how someone rates; rating the difficulty in the game and rating it outside the game shouldn't matter.

Gamefaqs has a "statistics" rating for every game submitted, where it shows "X amount of users rated 10" and "X amount of users rated 7". If a curious person, such as a willing-to-play user or a developer, wanted to see what the results of the ratings were, all they had to do is bring up a link or a drop-down box of what the results were and they would see that, even though the average difficulty is 7.5, more people rated 5.

That's another thing. Higher and lower numbers have a stronger effect on ratings than the middle numbers, as they are more radical. While more people rated lower, enough people rated higher to make the game seem it is more difficult. I'd rather the results not affect how the game is, but have the results be brought up to be determined by the user him/herself.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Seeing how many rated what is necessary indeed. I suggest that statistics also be implemented for normal game ratings, not only difficulty ratings.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This is my main concern, just like knight_34 stated:

I believe some people will be influenced though

Gamers might actually avoid some of the games if those are rated 'HARD' and vise-versa... this doesn't add to the thing a developer wants the most: have gamers play HIS game! But on the other hand... while typing this, I suddenly remembered that this is already done with the current system, be it in another way... gamers might avoid bad rated games... *rests chin on hand* ...puzzling... still I think it's all too much to add this too, next to the rating of games, but maybe as a replacement of?!
I personally prefer the rating system though, if I had to choose between the two...
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

I wonder if we should impose the response timer, as mentioned in this thread, where you can only rate the difficulty of the game after playing it for a few minutes.

I agree!

along with MrDayCee, people might avoid the hard games.
Color gauge is good, so we can see a game's difficulty level right off the bat.
I think that we should have that AND the rating system in place, so people can say, "well this game looks hard, but people like it, so I'll play it."
and vice-versa.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

i realy think it has to many problems! but if you realy can do it, with the X rate 7.5 type it might work. but i could effect the plays still. maybe, if you can, do a try out on the beta or for a little while, and if it does not work and pulls down plays then stop. but in a perfect would it would be nice! all in all i say shoot for it!

686T
686T
1 posts
Nomad

I really like this Idea, sometimes i see a game that looks good and i play it then it's really hard. I also like what joe96 posted that there should be colors

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

I see no advantage in having a difficulty rating system. If you play a game and it's hard, leave a comment?

Nobody looks for hard and easy games, they look for fun games. If a game is fun but it is easy, then people will give it good ratings. If a game is fun while being hard, people will still give the game good ratings.

I believe difficulty is too trivial to be implemented in to the system. This is just my own personal opinion.

Also, the only way you can determine the difficulty of the game is:

1. When you beat the game.
2. When the game finally does become difficult.

I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of people lose interest in many of the flash games they play. They may not necisarily hate the game, but they may lose interest for one reason or another. Without finishing the game, how can they determine how difficult the game is?

Then you have games where you have no end goal. You simply keep playing the game until you lose. These games usually become too difficult to beat at some point. In this case, you must judge the game by how long it takes before the game becomes challenging.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Gamers might actually avoid some of the games if those are rated 'HARD' and vise-versa... this doesn't add to the thing a developer wants the most: have gamers play HIS game! But on the other hand... while typing this, I suddenly remembered that this is already done with the current system, be it in another way... gamers might avoid bad rated games... *rests chin on hand* ...puzzling... still I think it's all too much to add this too, next to the rating of games, but maybe as a replacement of?!
I personally prefer the rating system though, if I had to choose between the two...

I also stumbled upon the same problem. The difficulty rating system can easily turn certain gamers off before the game gets any attention. However, this already happens with the current popularity system and many good games are avoided due to low scores.

Regardless, the rating system informs the author of a game how much people enjoyed their game. They look through the comments to figure out what people liked and did not like about the game. A difficulty rating is just one of many different things that can be measured such as sound, graphics, controls, and so on.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

An idea i just thought of was that maybe like NoName said, a rating for sound, graphics, controls and such. and after you make a rating you could make a little comment to explain you rating like if:

Controls Rating: hard to use (or like a 3)

Reason: i would rather have WASD or arrow keys

there would be a whole list of different ratings to do. Then the person of the game could look at these ratings and reasons and fix the game accordingly. would this work?

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

A difficulty rating system would be nice but as it has been stated it may deter people from playing the games. And although a game with a low rating may already not be played adding a difficult or too easy stamp next to that and even more players will be deterred.

Also, what do you rate the difficulty of a game that already has difficulty systems built in (easy, medium, hard modes)?

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

[quote]Also, what do you rate the difficulty of a game that already has difficulty systems built in (easy, medium, hard modes)?

well i would rate the over all diffaclty.

but with how NoName put it it real does seem not needed!
(dude you put it in a realy searus way! it kinda helped explane it all thanks!!)

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

boy, now went ya put it that way! LOL
it would be nice but i think still think there are to many problem. but i realy think as i said

maybe, if you can, do a try out on the beta or for a little while, and if it does not work and pulls down plays then stop.

this would solve any of the probelms of people lowering the plays. we could manual make a game harder (with the permishon of the programmer) and see if the plays go down. seems simple (well nothing is realy simple).
Showing 16-29 of 29