Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Moderating Your Threads

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 4:11pm

samy

samy

4,336 posts

I'm curious if we'll be able to have more control over the threads that we create in 3.0 or if it will remain largely unchanged.

Or if you aren't sure yet.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 4:15pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

In what sense? We've already have several suggestions (check the master suggestion list thread)

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 4:45pm

samy

samy

4,336 posts

Sorry my OP wasn't very descriptive.

Basically the ability to lock your own threads if they go away from what you wanted the thread to be (especially in the WEPR forum). Or having the ability to edit your original post to include new information.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 5:51pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

Well, editing posts has been pretty well covered. On locking your own threads...I could see where this would pose a problem. Here is an example:

John Doe creates a topic in WEPR about Christianity. John gets upset with the posts in his topic. So, John closes it. Then I come back behind John and re-open the topic. Then John comes back and closes it again.

"Regular" members would not abuse this power, but some others would.

At least, that is the problem I see with it.

Instead, you can just get a mod to lock a topic.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 7:53pm

ulimitedpower

ulimitedpower

1,597 posts

Then I come back behind John and re-open the topic.

Why would you close it? Because you see no fit reason why he should have done it? I just want to see your perspective...

"Regular" members would not abuse this power, but some others would.

Mmh, maybe trying to exclude users by opening and locking the thread at certain times.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 7:57pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

Or they would lock the thread when they leave so no discussion happens without them. I think that overall this would be a terrible idea. Mostly just for the reason that you know that there are people who will abuse it.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 7:58pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Why would you close it? Because you see no fit reason why he should have done it? I just want to see your perspective...

It could be a legitimate discussion with good arguments and generally have a good feel about it.
But John got butthurt because people are disagreeing with him, so he locks it to get the last word on the matter, thus stopping the discussion.
A legitimate thread that is on topic and doesn't break any rules should be left open.
(I actually have the same annoyance about a possible block feature, but that is for another thread)

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 8:09pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

I doubt we'd allow users to lock their own threads.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 8:10pm

samy

samy

4,336 posts

So, no on locking your own threads.

Still what about being able to add to your OP? You wouldn't be able to delete anything you've previously said, to prevent people from completely changing their ideas, but you would be able to present more information.

Posted Oct 8, '10 at 8:17pm

DaRkNe5s

DaRkNe5s

311 posts

Also a delimited number of threads by day, because many users do a lot of them

Reply to Moderating Your Threads

You must be logged in to post a reply!