Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Word Requirement

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 10, '10 at 11:50pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,204 posts

If you think about it, spam is much easier to locate on game comments when they are short, therefore unproductive. Every so often you get a sentence or two sentence opinion of the game, plus a review.

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 2:05am

Trumpetfury

Trumpetfury

408 posts

eh, if we could make the common AG user, to click the flag for spam if they see it, and if they would get banned, for having three different comments flagged 3+ times, problem solved, no word requirement needed. see how smart i am??? xD

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 4:03am

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

Trumpetfury, that is fair idea but I believe combinations of measures are most effective.

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 10:15am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,204 posts

eh, if we could make the common AG user, to click the flag for spam if they see it, and if they would get banned, for having three different comments flagged 3+ times, problem solved, no word requirement needed. see how smart i am??? xD

That's not really fair...or fun, is it? They're just unproductive comments; they aren't causing exaggerated mayhem or endangering the minds of the pre-teens are they? What could be more effective than reporting the users to a mod whilst getting 2 AP in the process? The normies shouldn't have a hand in banning a user (besides reporting) under any means.

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 10:26am

1337Player

1337Player

1,774 posts

I really think that most people are afraid to flag for some reason. Just like the reason on an MMORPG that people are afraid to report someone. Just in case they're wrong.
What I need to know is that what happens if you flag something that shouldn't be flagged?

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 10:41am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,204 posts

Well as you may or may not know, 1337, the flagged comments are sent to the admins to be looked over. If they feel that it was right to be flagged, the comment will be deleted. If the flagged comment wasn't that bad, they will leave it alone. Reviews that are flagged by questionable users, well...my theory is they are given a talking to.

If it was a simple spam problem, then I don't feel that flagging the comment is at all effective; the problem can be fixed faster by reporting. If there was a bot that is adding the various games, then flagging is useful, since the admins will look at that bot. What goes on from there is hazy to me, but they probably will ask the company of that bot to have it and others restrained from the site.

Back to the word requirement...If we lengthen it, and people will still spam nonsensical comments, they will be hidden from legit comments even more. Right now, people can type whatever they want. So the branch between bad and good is wider. You get the really short comments and the really long comments. Adding a higher minimum will shorten the branch between the two and will make spam harder to spot, especially if mods and admins skim the pages.

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 11:01am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,734 posts

I think that a manual judging will always be required... see (and I'm poking the wasps nest with a huge stick here), if you would make a sentence that's just as long as the required (say for example) 20 words lenght as a standard in a notepad file and then copy that to the particular post section, you'd pass the detection of re-accurring words! 0_o

# Example for a forum post:

"I certainly agree with that opinion, but it doesn't sound really good to me... maybe in time it will eventually..."

This is a comment that could be used on a variety of topics that doesn't say anything in specific, but it does sound like a 'normal' post...

# Another example, on a game review this time:

"I liked the game very much! Controls are good and the music is great! I really enjoyed playing this game!"

Again... this post doesn't seem generated, but more like a true review post from a user and it can only be detected by a moderator who recalls seeing it before!

Therefor manual moderation of posts and comments will always be needed! ;)

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 11:07am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,204 posts

I think that a manual judging will always be required...

But of course, we don't have the man and woman power to do so :'(

The first comment you posted is spam, but the second one, not. I believe Cenere once said "If I can say 'why?' to a comment or review, it's not legit", paraphrased of course.

In the forums, if you post post#1, that can qualify as spam. Why do you think so? Although it has the word capacity to seem productive, it most certainly isn't.

This is why this and the Rate/Comment Timer thread's arguments crumble faster than a gingerbread cookie.

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 11:58am

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

Pperhaps what should happen is that after a forum post, game review, or comment is flagged a number of times...say three, the post is automatically replaced with a text that states, "This text will reappear after review by an administrator/moderator."  The original comment would then be sent to the inbox of an admin or mod and they could go from there.

Posted Oct 11, '10 at 12:25pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

We've already covered spam systems in here folks. We'll have ways for you as a community to flag things as spam, or inappropriate, or whatever, and it will be hidden from your eyes and if enough people flag it, a mod or admin will see it show up in their tools for review.

A word count requirement is a fairly easy process, there are tools out there which can count the number of unique words, or look for repeating words. But truth be told, we'd have to come up with a "white list" of words to exclude, otherwise the word 'the' would flag you as a spammer, etc.