ForumsWEPRThe definition of 'Normal'

35 7903
CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

What exactly is a 'Normal Person'. I mean, does it even exist? Tell me your opinions on the definition.

• 35 Replies
Mammon
Mammon
63 posts
Nomad

The dictionary defines it as, "Conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural".

However, it really depends on what region of the world you are living in. Some customs of a certain race of people may seem absolutely absurd to people in America, but in their home country it would be a common, everyday thing.

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

Normal is very subjective, but I would say consumption led sheeple are the norm today. Go to any Wal-mart or mall and you will find hundreds of these "normal" people grazing the edge of credit card debt, trying to buy happiness or whatever it is they need to conform to their peer group. Of course there are sub-categories to every category, so normal is still subjective.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

Ignorant jerks unaware of most striving for s*x and false happieness

dgw91
dgw91
35 posts
Nomad

I think normal depends on point of view. Such as people in other countries or social groups may dress,act,eat,ect.. differently than you and you may see it as strange, but to them its normal

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

"If everyone was weird, would being weird be normal?"

A person can be normal for one group, and weird for another. It's all about context of the group, and how well an individual matches the characteristics of the group.

Nerdius
Nerdius
421 posts
Nomad

There is no such thing as "normal" If you are per say:"normal" then why were you created? Maybe its because I'm christian, but I think God created us all to be DIFFERENT. No two people are different. If I am "normal" then how come I am the only person I know who does a certain thing? If everybody was "normal" just think of these two questions. Why were we created? and Wouldn't the world be very boring if everybody was "normal, I mean, everybody would be the same.

Nerdius
Nerdius
421 posts
Nomad

Sorry, I meant "No two people are the same."
My bad.

KlNG
KlNG
301 posts
Nomad

Ignorant jerks unaware of most striving for s*x and false happieness

&& what's wrong with that?
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

i think someone has been watching to much chris crocker

THE EVIL BASTARD

KichiProwerxX
KichiProwerxX
140 posts
Nomad

I Agree With Ricador. It Does Sound Like Something Chris Crocker Would Say/Talk About.

Even So; If We All Where Normal People; The World Would NOT Have It's Vine Of Psychos; And Crazy People Like Us. :]

CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

Actually, I have never watched chris Crocker. I only asked this because i keep getting called 'abnormal'. i was wondering the definition, so dont assume stuff to easily

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

I don't really think there is a universal normality but as many people have said there is regional normality. Also to your last comment people call other people abnormal to make them feel bad and them feel good, personally I think being abnormal is better than being normal.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

Im pretty sure its normal to be abnormal... therefore....
Mmmm paradoxes.

Also, are we talking about normal in body or mind? Or both, I suppose. A normal person would probably have a body that functions, have all their appendages and body parts... though the appendix would be negotiable, I suppose. Normal is a statistic based on the majority, so whatever the majority of people are, is normal.

Therefore, if the majority of people are abnormal, that is normal. Whatever the majority of people look like is normal, and however the majority of people act is normal.

Cheeseman298
Cheeseman298
118 posts
Nomad

In my opinian being normal is odd. everyone is weird but in a good way in their own uniqe way

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I could write a few books on the topic of "Normal"...but let's start with this-

What do we use the definition of 'normal' for?

Keeping this in mind will help us understand why we talk about the word in various ways.

Showing 1-15 of 35