ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Migrating Armor Points to AGv3

67 32818
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I expect this will be one of the more anticipated posts in this forum, so I'll try to be as clear and concise as I can.

Until we refine things a little more, here is our official position on what's happening with your current Armor Points, and some information on AG3:

With AG3, we are going to introduce TWO new systems of points (names are not final):

1) New Armor Points (Points earned based on gameplay)
2) "Karma" Points (Points earned based on quality site participation)

The goal is to separate gameplay ability from site interaction and contribution.

What's Happening to old Armor Points?

Every active AG2 user will receive special "legacy" achievements for being part of AG2. There will be individual achievements for each of the level/rank on AG2, which will be given once we launch AG3 into production, and then retire the old AG2 points system. Depending on the level/rank you are at when AG3 launches, the corresponding achievement and New AP points will be given. Users who did not have an account on AG2 will not be able to recieve these achievements. The breakdown would be something like the following: (subject to change)

- AG2 Serf Achievement, 5 New AP pts
- AG2 Squire Achievement, 10 New AP pts
- AG2 Knight Achievement, 20 New AP pts
- AG2 Lord Achievement, 40 New AP pts
- AG2 Duke Achievement, 60 New AP pts
- AG2 Prince Achievement, 80 New AP pts
- AG2 King Achievement, 100 New AP pts

At the very least, everyone will receive an achievement for being part of AG2.

But once we launch AG3 for all users, you will have achievements that new users can never get because you helped build the Armor Games community through AG2. We may also give out some sort of extra achievements to leader board users for game submissions, forum posts, etc. and give out extra achievements just for the sheer number of AP you had like an achievement called "10,000+ Legacy Armor Points" or "1,000+ Forum posts", that sort of thing.

New Armor Points System

For the new Armor Points system, we're working on ways for game developers to reward you with achievements that you attain via game play. We may actually roll out some of this during AG3's beta, before AG3 is launched. When AG3 is ready (or for beta users) you'll get to see all of your achievements and points you get awarded for playing and interacting with the games.

Karma Chameleon

The new "karma" system (which needs a new name, and I'm happy to take suggestions on what to call it, like an old school RPG "alignment" system to some degree) will be similar to how the existing AG2 Armor Points work, where you'll get points for posting comments, feedback, game reviews, forum posts, and so on, but this score can go DOWN if a message you post gets marked as spam/etc or is deleted by a moderator.

Not everything you submit on the site will give you points (ie, private messages will not give you points) and we may limit the maximum number of points you can get per day for posting on user profiles, etc., just to help cut down on spam. Some things will award more points than others. Some actions on the site will require a minimum number of karma points. ie, if your karma drops below 0, we may restrict your ability to post in the forums.

We're looking at several ways to award these karma points throughout the site. Some ideas we're currently considering include awarding extra karma points for having a forum post or game review flagged up (liked) by a certain quantity of users, or awarding extra points for submitting photos of you and your AG store purchases, as mentioned in another forum thread. We're considering several ideas that users have posted in the forums. Maybe if you get a number of posts "liked" enough, we'll award extra achievements, and so on.

So are we migrating old Points, or not?!

Strictly speaking, we are not migrating the exact value of your old Armor Points to the AG3 system since some of the points will turn into achievements, and some will turn into karma.

If we migrate the forums, we'll probably be able to award you some karma points for your old forum posts. This is still being investigated and will depend solely on whether we migrate the old forums or not. We'll probably also migrate the game reviews which were given merits on AG2, so we have reviews to show new users who come to the site. These posts will award some amount of karma.

We implemented some new high score and shared game content systems over the summer (July/August) which help us to track information about which users submitted that data. We may be able to start your account with some initial AG3 Points based on what we've been collecting since July/August, however any older high scores or shared game content cannot be awarded.

Questions and Feedback

We're interested in hearing what you think. We would like to aggregate feedback on our Get Satisfaction account. A thread has been created which you can access here: http://getsatisfaction.com/armorgames/topics/update_on_armor_points_and_armor_games_v3_ag3

• 67 Replies
Nikolas777
Nikolas777
15 posts
Peasant

Interesting. I think I like the new system ..

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

People could just hold f5 on their threads so that the views count increases.

Well, that's also part of why we're not announcing exactly what it will be until we've started to implement it. Still, reputation stuff is off-topic here.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Will I still keep my current rank when it releases?

As I've already written elsewhere, we don't know if we're keeping the rank system or not.

How much AP do I earn in AGv3?

Per my original post and followups, points will be earned by doing game-related actions on the site, such as playing, rating, submitting high scores or gameshares (making levels to share with others), etc. We haven't decided on how many points will be awarded, or the exact actions we'll award points for, yet.

On what ways can I earn AP in AGv3?

See above

Will I keep my current amount of AP?

No. Your point level will award you one or more achievements for having "legacy ag2 points". We may choose to convert some of your points to Reputation, and some of your points for rating games, but the decisions are not finalized yet.

Why not get Points to buy stuff. only saying.

We've said several times that Dan does not want a virtual currency to 'spend' on things on the site.
iamlentil64
iamlentil64
88 posts
Nomad

which needs a new name, and I'm happy to take suggestions on what to call it

Why does it need a name? I think Karma points is a cool name.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Why does it need a name? I think Karma points is a cool name.

It will be called Reputation and should not be thought of as points.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think Karma points is a cool name.

As Patrick2011 said, it's going to be called the Reputation System, but we haven't decided if you'll see an actual numeric value or just a "speedometer" type of indicator like we do for 'fun factor' on our game shares.
drod004
drod004
1 posts
Nomad

true how ever i believe that more of a exp metter is better break it into tenths eaier to read

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we're certainly open to ideas.

We're not exactly sure yet how we're going to visually indicate it... might look like the fun factor speedometer, might look like a progress bar, might just be a number, etc. We haven't decided, so breaking it into "tenths" might not work out. It really depends on how we do our final calculations.

ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

I't addicting hard and y is it soo easy to get on the high scores of today it's kinda weird maybe it's because it hasn't been played much. though that isn't true because it has more than 1 milliam plays.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I hope that it will be a &quotoints earning per days restriction" because some persons are spamming a lot only to get many points. A guy have earned 1200 points in 4 days! Cannot spam more than him. He sends messages like "Hi! How are you?" and rate a lot of games without playing it. Bad guy!

johnmerz
johnmerz
537 posts
Shepherd

[quote=valboss84]and rate a lot of games without playing it. Bad guy![/quote]

As far as I know, there is nothing in the terms and conditions against rating excessively. I do agree with you on the idea of limiting the amount of points you can earn per day though.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Rating excessively isn't a problem unless we prove you've done it through software instead of actually clicking on each game and rating it.

Since AG3 points will be entirely game-based, I don't see the point of limiting how many points you can get per day.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Rating games by playing them isn't bad thing, but some comments are excessively short and not interesting. I sometimes flag the ones which are like it.

Question:

Will it be more ways to earn AP in AG3? Because, actually there isn't a lot of ways to earn some...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It depends on involvement from the game developers. I haven't followed up with Larry lately on all of the different wants to gain points on AG3. Game ratings will still give points, we may give points for submitting high scores and game shares (and take those points away if your submission is removed or your high score is removed).

ColonyGuardian
ColonyGuardian
10 posts
Nomad

did you creat the armor games website and i think everthing that you have thought of so far is a good idea there should be a special amount of points given though fir completing a game for example i am rank 10 colony so when people reach that or have achieved that they should be awarded with some points

Showing 16-30 of 67