ForumsNews and FeedbackIdea for gameplay achievements

12 5128
TikTokToo1
TikTokToo1
95 posts
Nomad

you all know that some games have a high score system right?
So basically my idea is that if you make it into the top 25% or top 10%, you will be rewarded by some armor points.

if this topic has been taken, let me know. If not, discuss the idea.

• 12 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We've talked about this in other threads as tangents. Our main worry is people who submit a hacked score, and then having to delete their points when we delete the score.

TikTokToo1
TikTokToo1
95 posts
Nomad

oh ok.... now i'm stumped.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, unfortunately there are people out there who have nothing better to do with their time than to hack their browser/flash to submit bogus high scores. And if they end up submitting enough high scores that they win a bunch of armor points, and get some sort of achievement, how do we take all of that away from them if we suspect a bogus score.

TikTokToo1
TikTokToo1
95 posts
Nomad

And if they end up submitting enough high scores that they win a bunch of armor points, and get some sort of achievement, how do we take all of that away from them if we suspect a bogus score.

yeah, I get it. but there's no way around, such as to give the same amount of AP for top 25 and 10%? ! don't know....
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It wouldn't matter, getting AP for a high score means you'd get AP for something you didn't earn if all you did was hack a high score.

TikTokToo1
TikTokToo1
95 posts
Nomad

getting AP for a high score means you'd get AP for something you didn't earn if all you did was hack a high score.

ok I think you have proved your point. I didn't think about those statements until i made this thread.... sorry.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Hmmm.....

I suppose if you had AP for highscores, you would have to give it via category, yes? Comments in one area, forums in the next, right?

Say you had a category meant for AGi highscores. Everytime you hit top 25% or some other threshold, you would be awarded an AP package, say, 4AP each. Well, once you get that AP package, it would be recorded in your stats as +1 AGi highscores. Take that away, you get 0 AGi highscores, which would give the user -4 AP.

So, if you made an AP category specifically for AGi highscores, you would be able to take away from just that while leaving everything else hunky-dory.

TikTokToo1
TikTokToo1
95 posts
Nomad

I suppose if you had AP for highscores, you would have to give it via category, yes? Comments in one area, forums in the next, right?

Say you had a category meant for AGi highscores. Everytime you hit top 25% or some other threshold, you would be awarded an AP package, say, 4AP each. Well, once you get that AP package, it would be recorded in your stats as +1 AGi highscores. Take that away, you get 0 AGi highscores, which would give the user -4 AP.

So, if you made an AP category specifically for AGi highscores, you would be able to take away from just that while leaving everything else hunky-dory

oooohh... i think that just might do it!
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Well, I think this will have your answer:
1.Dude33........9999,999999,9,9999
2.YeahBoyy!!!e....999,999,999,9999
3.imaguy...........999,999,999,998
4.stinks............24,010,000,000
5.poopoohead39ix........89,000,080

etc.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

...and those would thus be flagged by users and deleted by administrators.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

if you had AP for highscores, you would have to give it via category, yes? Comments in one area, forums in the next, right?

Karma = forums/comments/reviews, basically using the web site itself
Points = playing games, high scores, creating/sharing game content

Joe96's point, and Freak's follow-up just echo my point of unlocking content based on points.

Say, for example, you needed 1,000 Armor Points in order to upload a custom armatar, and someone was at 9,90 points and knows we award 10 points for a high score. They hack their browser/Flash/etc to submit a bogus score to put a fake score into the Top 10, we unlock the armatar upload, they upload a new armatar and now all of their friends are using it, and then we delete the bogus score... now we have to scramble to take away that custom armatar from everyone.

Besides the logistics of how we determine that the score was fake (unless it's something obvious like 999,999,999 when the previous high score was like 10,000), now we've got a bunch of angry users who had something taken away because of a cheater.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I know Freak, that's why it was an example. My point was, if we have points-related things unlocked on the site, we'd have to track down the achievements, etc., that the user unlocked, not just delete their bogus high score.

Showing 1-12 of 12