ForumsNews and Feedbackrespected users.

10 3992
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

i would like there to be a title where you have enough merits and you are labeled respected user. with it's own colour font. the reason for this is that i feel that dedicated players that have over 25 merits or so feel as if they have made a proper contribution to this magnificent site. also people could ask them questions that aren't so important for the moderators so that the moderators can spend time answering the most important issues with out being snowed under. i understand that the moderators are doing a great job and spending many hours of their time.

• 10 Replies
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

i would also like to add that i wish for forum posts to be eligible for merits. (if they already are then i have not seen any evidence)

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

i forgot to add that maybe the moderators would also judge the becoming of a respected user instead of something automatic.

angelos6
angelos6
104 posts
Farmer

Some people here write on forums only to get merits and forget that this is a gaming site.For those ambitious authors there are more suitable forums to reveal their talent in writing.Sorry but,merits are not a sign of respect or honour for all of us and personally i dont accept this categorization to "common members" and the "merit-freaks".In addition,your idea will push more people to the "merit-hunt" and as a result playing games will come in second place.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

just an idea

angelos6
angelos6
104 posts
Farmer

Of course,we all have our opinions.I respect yours but it happens to have different way of thinking.You posted it for discussion and thats what we do.Dont be disappointed.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Some people here write on forums only to get merits and forget that this is a gaming site.For those ambitious authors there are more suitable forums to reveal their talent in writing.Sorry but,merits are not a sign of respect or honour for all of us and personally i dont accept this categorization to "common members" and the "merit-freaks".In addition,your idea will push more people to the "merit-hunt" and as a result playing games will come in second place.

Seeing how attitudes and standards were two years ago towards merits, ironically I can liken that time to a merit hunt for game review merits. People used to get merits from game reviews pretty easily compared to now. I do not see how adding a mere "I have lots of merits" honorific will diminish the attention given to playing games. The truth is, not a lot of people (compared to the vast silent majority) bother earning merits. Few people commit to make excellent reviews and comparably few are active in the forums. Most are quietly playing games. What's wrong with the nice community or artists and writers here? If it weren't for the community, AG would be somewhat depressing in my opinion. I appreciate the games this site has, but back when I first signed up for AG, the forums caught my attention. I could play games all day over at Kongregate. I've actively stuck with AG because of the forums.

Although I do understand your point. Giving an unneeded title room for bragging and boastfulness. It also gives some less bright people a reason to spam. If you have plenty of merits, you ought to already have enough respect towards you to make a label displaying the obvious unnecessary.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Merits are given to those who try to get them.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

If you feel you are a wise, respected user and can help others around with the site, make a note of it in your about! Many newcomers will flock to the higher-leveled users for varied reasons, and when they see "I'm a veteran user: ask me for help!", they will get the idea that you know a few things and maybe ask for help if they need any.

Being a respected user does not mean you have X amount of merits or X amount of posts; I only have one merit and that's because I made someone laugh his *** off with my acclaimed stupidity. Is that really a merit?

The respected users are generally found when they have been on the site for quite a while (I myself am a year old), have a combination of high amounts of points, and have the added ethereal variable of "contribution" or &quotost quality", where they take the time to go through their posts and make it as thoughtful as possible.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We're probably going to have a pop-up bubble when you hover over someone's armatar, where you'll see their karma rating, armor points, a link to their profile, maybe some other information about how many comments/forum posts/etc they've made, how many game reviews they've written, etc.

That said, I'll have to confirm with Larry, but I think we're essentially doing away with "merits".

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

i would like there to be a title where you have enough merits and you are labeled respected user. with it's own colour font. the reason for this is that i feel that dedicated players that have over 25 merits or so feel as if they have made a proper contribution to this magnificent site

I wanted to post a follow-up to the original question.

Since we're reworking the whole merit and points system and introducing the new "karma" system (I still hate the name, please suggest something else), I think a lot of this "respect" level will take care of itself. Users will be able to see another user's karma level, which will be boosted as people "like" their contributions.

As far as a colored font goes, I'm hesitant to let users post in alternate colors so they don't get confused with the moderators and admins.

Perhaps to balance out your idea, we should have a way to let users *find* users with high karma values.
Showing 1-10 of 10