ForumsNews and FeedbackAdvanced/Detailed Rating

12 4302
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

So You know how on amazon there is a detailed rating (scroll down to customer reviews and you will find the average rating, and then three or more aspects of the things (easy of use, ease of setup)
Same thing at barnesandnobles.com (scroll down and click the customer reviews button) there will be overall rating and aspects of the book(CoverArt, Plot, Funny, Fun Reading, Absorbing, Educational)
Hopefully I got my point across.
So should armorgames have too (for games)

• 12 Replies
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

So should armorgames have too (for games)

Arg!
Where is the edit button when it is needed?
I meant to say
So should armorgames have the detailed rating too???(for games)
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Well Escartian, we've talked about one other aspect of the rating system in another thread, which was difficulty. If we add that onto this, we could essentially set up different aspects of rating the game that would apply to every game we have--gameplay, graphics, sound, difficulty, etc. This would have their own different rating bar, but wouldn't affect the overall rating of the game; it would more likely show the developer why he or she got that rating.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Or, we could let the user rate all of those aspects and just use the average of those ratings to rate the overall game.

It's an interesting idea, but I think it might be too complex for most users. I think that if a user really wants to rate all of these aspects of a game, they could just write up a thorough review and get extra karma for their time.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We already track each user's rating per game, so it would be easy enough to show a breakdown of how many users rate a game at a particular level.

For example, Crush the Castle 2 has a little over 14,500 ratings:
10,212 = 10.0
1,850 = 9.5
875 = 9.0
etc

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

doh, submitted before I could finish my thought.

The problem is that it might look really cluttered on the game page to show the full breakdown. Personally, I like how Amazon and Newegg do their ratings ... You can see the overall average, and then the count of how users rated something, but it's only on a 5-point scale from 1-5, where we allow users to rate something between 0.5 and 10.0 (20-point scale)

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

What about a prompted mini window? If there are enough factors in a game recorded, it would be interesting to see how many users thought such-and-such and how many thought otherwise. It could originally be shown as a link, "individual ratings", and when clicked, prompts a mini window to show the individual stats of the game.

Rating them is another story, I agree. While I have full confidence in some of the members, the majority....not so much, XD It could prompt a separate mini window for rating individual aspects, but like I suggested, shouldn't have an effect on the overall rating itself.

But if one doesn't work, the other can't, unfortunately

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

see how many users thought such-and-such and how many thought otherwise

Like a survey? That might be something the game developer would build into their game once a user finishes it or something, I'd think?

We might show the user a reminder when they rate a game that they can always describe more about the game in a full game review.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of statistics:

.:Taken from Gamefaqs.com:.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1015/gamefaqsag3example.png

What might work would be having a survey at the end of an AG game, then incorporate the ratings into a statistic, where it would be shown via link, image, minibox, etc.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we could probably chart it easily enough ... heck, Google has a free chart API we could use for that matter. I'll mention it to Larry on Monday.

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

So forgive me for my late Curiosity but will there be something like this on ag3

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As mentioned in other threads here in the AG3 forum, we're looking at different ways to rate games. Nothing has been decided.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

why not just a small box next to the rateing that is completly sempat so that any use that did vote on it would show. it only needs a few things like

graphics
gameplay
cintrols(that could go with gmaeplay)
diffacolty
story line

and that is realy it. it sounds easy enough. (well ya know what i mean by easy! as in all to gether hard but for hard it is easy!? man just gave my self a head aeck...) as many or game site have done (ie. yoyo games,ign,and game stores like gamestop and others.).

they quistionair seem too well demanding and a lot of users might not put the efough in to it(i wish people would...)

but i hope larry figures some thing out!

Showing 1-12 of 12