Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

[old][AG3 feature] Friends, Followers

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 5:22pm

1337Player

1337Player

1,774 posts

And moreover, if the leader did have certain powers - I should imagine that there is a chance of those powers being abused. If a leader had to be removed or replaced for whatever reason - how would those powers be passed forward. I imagine that some groups may get pretty large and unless you have some sort of leadership or 'next-of-kin' system in place then I don't see how a handover of power could be achieved if a leader had to leave.

There could be a Jr. Master or Vice President that could take his/her place. Maybe.

I like the idea of groups, clans, guilds, whatever you want to call them. I could see many benefits of this.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 5:46pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,203 posts

I guess you would have to have a pretty high karma in order to make a new group, and have a high enough karma to be able to manage or lead the group. You would have to have at least a +1 to join a group.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 5:48pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,052 posts

And moreover, if the leader did have certain powers - I should imagine that there is a chance of those powers being abused. If a leader had to be removed or replaced for whatever reason - how would those powers be passed forward. I imagine that some groups may get pretty large and unless you have some sort of leadership or 'next-of-kin' system in place then I don't see how a handover of power could be achieved if a leader had to leave.

Poss solutions:

1. The leader selects a new leader and then can leave - just like guild wars
2. the oldest person of the group (ie the person whose been in the group the longest (leaving and rejoining will reset the counter)) will become the new leader - on guild wars, the leader becomes 2 months inactive and this what happens I believe.

I like this idea, we can have more things on control panel like: what activity we can put on (eg: fave games, get a high-score etc) and who can see it (followers, friends or anyone). This is also like youtube - you can see certain activities in one's channel depending on what the person has selected.

As for groups, I like the idea too, this could make it better to have contests so we know who is part of the group or not.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 5:57pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

3,874 posts

You would have to have at least a +1 to join a group.

Good thing I have this handy +5 Boots of Leadership my trust +5 Ring of Karma.

/nerdiness

Seriously though, I really dislike the whole 'groups' thing, especially as a fundamental part of AG3. We already have our little friendship cliques, and many of us have off-site chats where we hang out with those friends, so to promote groups as a part of AG3 really seems unnecessary.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 6:22pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Avorne, yes, I'm sure we'll make a way to list groups on your profile page.

As for group creators... Freak is correct, group creators will need a certain point/karma value. Aside from creating the group, I don't envision group creators to have any additional "powers" like mass-mailing the group members. As far as disbanding the group, it'll just go away on its own when every user leaves. Since the creator won't have any additional abilities over other users, there won't be a need to "pass on the torch."

MrWalker82, I literally lol'd at "+5 Ring of Karma" ... sounds like an achievement.

As I mentioned in the original post, when we do introduce groups down the road (well after AG3 launches), it will be primarily for game tournaments, and it'll be a total invite/opt-in or request-to-join scenario, so you can choose not to be involved if you want fewer activity notices.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 6:57pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,288 posts

Yay :D
That's like all the suggestions and more.
AG 3 sound like it's going to be awesome.
Can't wait for it.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 7:14pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,203 posts

@MrWalker: I don't think of factions as fundamental; I see them as an activity booster, something to have fun with as a group doing whatever struck their fancy. I'm especially fond of factions; for some reason, being in a faction just makes me all giddy inside. I can imagine different types of factions all portraying some sort of theme, like various games, hobbies, discussions, etc. It's gonna be shweet.

Oh, something to add. This faction feature needs to have something to describe it. Why not have the leader of the group have direct access to the faction's About, almost like a profile, where he or she can directly add text about the description of the group, the groups members (if not already applicable), and the ranks of the members if needed. This way, the faction can be well organized (or not) and people can frolic to the faction to see what it's all about.

Plus the usual "Faction name already taken" business.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 7:29pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

3,874 posts

MrWalker82, I literally lol'd at "+5 Ring of Karma" ... sounds like an achievement.

Yah, it was standard issue when you joined the Army while G. W. Bush was in office XD

@MrWalker: I don't think of factions as fundamental; I see them as an activity booster, something to have fun with as a group doing whatever struck their fancy. I'm especially fond of factions; for some reason, being in a faction just makes me all giddy inside. I can imagine different types of factions all portraying some sort of theme, like various games, hobbies, discussions, etc. It's gonna be shweet.

Hmm... I suppose I've never considered that. I guess it would be fitting, especially given the number of highly popular multi-player games that we have now. Very well, I stand correct. Make all the dang groups/factions/guilds you want XD

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 8:03pm

samy

samy

4,338 posts

Ah, you're taking all the fun out of informal groups :(

Otherwise I like the friend/follower idea but shouldn't followers be aloud to post on your profile? Otherwise it might be a tad bit harder to make new friends.

Posted Oct 13, '10 at 10:51pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Well, feel free to suggest more ideas here, but as I've already said, "groups" will be implemented after AG3 fully launches... We're looking at several months before something like this will get worked on.

Samy, you're right, followers *should* be able to post on the walls of those they follow, it was just an example of the kinds of restrictions we're thinking about.