ForumsNews and Feedback[old][AG3 feature] Friends, Followers

58 18867
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To clarify what I've said elsewhere... We will have several ways to interact with people.

Followers
This will work like public Twitter profiles, where you can follow whoever you want, whenever you want. As a user, you can always see a list of who you're following, as well as a list of who is following you. When that user does something on the site like create a new forum thread or create new game content (ie a new castle in Sieger) or get a new achievement, you'll see it on your activity feed.

Friends
This will work like Facebook, where your friendship invitation must be accepted by the other person. If the other person ignores your request or straight-up rejects it, you'll only have "follow" privileges. You'll always have access to your friends list of course, and either user can break the friendship connection at any time.

What's the Difference?
We will place restrictions on user interaction based on whether you're a friend or follower. For example, we may restrict whether followers can post on your profile page, and armatars you upload can only be shared to your friends. We may let followers send you private messages, but we may prioritize messages from friends by highlighting them in a different color or something along those lines. Of course, any activities your friends are a part of on the site will show up on your activity feed.

Groups? Clubs? Clans?
We're unsure of what we'll call it, but some time AFTER the public AG3 launch, we'd like to build the idea of a "club" or "group" setup where someone can create a group and invite people to it. These could be used for game tournaments, etc. where the players wouldn't have to be friends or followers to share comments and ideas. Users will be able to join as many of these groups as they like. Any group activity will show up in your activity feed.

Spam, noise, clutter
You'll be able to filter out whose items you want to see, or not, which games you want to see, or not, etc. For example, maybe your best friend JoeUser likes to create 100 new levels for Light Bot 2 every day, and you don't play LB2 ... you can filter out LB2 messages without filtering JoeUser completely.

Larry has also talked about giving you the ability to "ban" users from your profile page, or from seeing your activities, even if they're following you on the site.

More to come!

• 58 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I'll let it rest then, but only after suggesting to you that in this matter, I think 'less is more'... with this I mean that a guild maybe should have the same layout as a user's profile, only with a little twist in some data, like "member since..." becoming "founded on..." and the addition of a link to the founder's profile... simple is super!

That's all... on with the rest of the ideas and news flashes! YAY! =D

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

To make sure that group leaders don't abuse their powers....

Maybe have a ranking system within the group? And let members rate others' comments, posts, messages, etc. Depending on their rank/ratings they'll move to different places within the group.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Maybe, statuses, or followers of okay too. But don't we already have friends.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

LEGEND_beast, the "friends" setup we have here on AG2 is more of what AG#'s "follower" status will be. Right now, selecting someone as a "friend" on AG2 doesn't do much, and they don't have to accept you as a friend.

In AG3, if you want to be someone's friend, you *both* have to agree. Otherwise, you can choose to just be their "follower" like our AG2 system does.

The "guild/group" feature could take it one step beyond that, but I've already asked to delay talking about groups any more until AG3 gets launched.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Maybe locking this thread would be a better option then, because everyone keeps talking on and on about it Ian...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

But then users couldn't ask questions related to friends and followers, which is the point of the thread. )

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Hey Ian, it's Monday, any updates on this particular thingy while in your meeting?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Nothing new to report at this time. We've covered it all pretty thoroughly so far (in my opinion), and if something changes, we'll post it here. But I don't want to lock the thread in case someone has a new question about it.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

wow you guys realy go on and on about this! LOL!
well it seem fine as it is (as in all the idea made so far about guilds!)! but it almost seem that it could blow up kinda easly though... well hope ya'll yet it going after the launch!

i would jion the kitty klub! ROFL!! realy i mean MOEW!!!! LOL!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

wow you guys realy go on and on about this!

It's not just 'A' thing we're talking about Kyacho, it's... 'THE' most important update to this great website! And it's coming soon!

@ cormyn : Whoops... forgot this was the thread about friends and followers and I derailed along with the off-topicness!!! Soh-wee... *peeks from behind the couch*
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

well... i know i and i'm exited too! it's just i have never realy seen a forum with this much... well... moetahvation (sorry for the bad spelling,uh how do i put it... get up and go with the site i geuss) and stick to gether to the groupafullnes!!!! i will be staying in the site for updates to come
BUT ON TOPIC

what do you mean by friend have more to it? as in the they must both agree? do i have to agree with my freinds (or more like friend!) all the time or what? if you got the info could ya explane that more please!?!?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Kyahco, we've already covered how it will work in this thread. Friend requests have to be accepted by the other person, like Facebook, or you can just follow other people, similar to Twitter.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

uh.. oop! sorry! i know i read that part, i mean to say what do you mean by freind booth have to agree? oh wait i get it you mean that the have to agree on the request!!!! i see. uhg sorry was not feel so good! i thought you ment that they have to agree on every thing they say or something (sounded out raguse!!!!), but you mean friend requests!!! sorry LOL.

ugh now i have a big red hand on my head and it hurt! LOL

Showing 46-58 of 58