ForumsGame WalkthroughsColony- Monarch Build/Guide?

17 17446
NovaPrime
NovaPrime
1 posts
Nomad

As the name implies, this a build/guide that is trying to use monarchy in colony. I notice people usually use facist regardless of whether they build and outpost or a forge. Communist and capitalist users are scarce and I have yet to see a monarchy user (correct me if I'm wrong). Instead of using the regular facist class, I'm deciding on trying to make a pure monarch build or guide. This is still a prototype build so I would appreciate suggestions on how to improve it.

These are the buildings and units I use in my build:
Buildings
Bank
A must have. Provides the early acceleration if money to build those costly spec ops buildings and for late game supply if you want to use missiles later

Generator
Provides electricity or whatever you call it. Build it only if your planning on using the missiles or else its pretty much a waste of space in modes that restricts them

Spec op building
The backbone of this build. This is the building that would be churning out your units. The units cost influence as opposed to regular units. Also builds missiles to launch at your opponents (doesn't work during cold war or safe skies mode).

Units
Special Ops Squad
Costs 35 influence and builds some special marines, snipers and medics. What I usually spam build. Can pack quite a punch especially used in groups of two or more.

Farsniper
Costs the same as your spec ops squad. Its a sniper that's better than your average sniper. Does higher damage compared to your regular sniper and shots at a slightly further distance (I think). Haven't implemented this unit in my strategy or build so suggestions on how to use it would be cool.

A-27 Pride
Costs 40 influence.Something like a A-28 Gladiator I think. Not very sure the extent and capabilities of this unit so if anyone knows please do tell. I have used this unit a few times and find it quite overpowering. Usually used along with a few spec ops squads.

Modified Sakata
Costs 50 influence and is a unit I don really use. Its like your average sakata Mk II anti air unit but better I guess. Problem is its high cost doesn't allow me to stockpile it to be used in a mass attack.

That's a how I see my units and buildings in term of use and importance. On to my build!
1. Tell your ally what your planning to do and that you need cover
2. Build a bank and let it do its job
3. Once you have enough money, build your spec ops building.
4. When that is done, use your influence points to build a few
spec op squads to ease the load on your ally.
5. Set your spec op building to collect influence.
6. While your collecting influence, use the money that your bank
collected to build a few other spec ops building.
7. Set the new spec ops buildings to collect influence.
8. Once you have enough influence, build as much units as your
resources allow following your needs.
9. If your not playing cold war or safe skies, launch a few
missiles using the money and electricity you have but if you
are, skip this step.
10. Give the signal for you and your ally to attack.

I've tried this a few times alone against hard cpu's and won all of the matches. In multiplayer games, I won 3/4 of my online games so I guess it ain't that bad. This is just a general build so you'll have to adapt to the needs of the match. I'll add more when I've done more testing. Hope this helps and suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm kinda new to this btw.

• 17 Replies
SoymasterYos
SoymasterYos
971 posts
Nomad

I really want to know how long have you been playing Colony. I rotate my Government usage.

Ok my opinion on this guide. It is good for the newer players, but average players will not learn much from this. I say this beauces you play using the Specail Opertaions only. Playing a hard cpu wont tell you aanything about a build. To test a build play quickplay hard-hard or 1v2 hard cpus (see how long you last or win). When palying Monarchy, you should aim for transitioning into the Specail Operations. I might make my view on Monarchy next week.

Fasty
Fasty
300 posts
Nomad

Im personally an enemy of guides, so i wont rate the guide for now. And instead of telling you wether the build is good or bad, i say, give readers the government and some thoughts on possible units/buildings. Improvising makes you get the best build. Try it instead of talking generally, thats much better.

And hey, ive never seen you before in colony. Since when do you play?

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I usually do a fascist build, having my ally cover against hovers. This gives you an edge because you will upgrade faster and therefore attack while your enemy is upgrading, giving you a slight advantage. It also is amazing against air, and spiders are pretty tough will self-heal. Missiles sometimes are my downfall, but then I just build a spec-ops and fight back.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Usually I die when my partner sucks and they mass hovers and BQ's

Gamer6013
Gamer6013
451 posts
Nomad

Personaly i find the monarch goverment a overpowered tank.... i see new ppl uesing this stragtey and i will deal with that but i do not like it when average or expernticed ppl use it im a Commy goverment im all around good air or ground but mostly ground and then i just go finding a way to counter there plot

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

agreed

Jon873
Jon873
51 posts
Nomad

Nice Guide for the Monarch. Me I use the combination of Far Snipers and Prides

PowerOfSauce
PowerOfSauce
502 posts
Shepherd

I pretty much agree with YOS and Fasty with this one.

It's an ok build for newer players, but beyond that, there isn't a lot of potential. I personally think that monarchy is at its best when you combine influence units with outpost or forge units (e.g. spec ops/forge, war sanc/outpost).

brandroid
brandroid
122 posts
Nomad

i think im the monarch kind.I can easily make special forces then a forge and kill.I just got into this game a week ago.Im still rank 3 how do u rank up i know u have to win but how many times

sirbutkick
sirbutkick
4 posts
Nomad

One thing id like to point out here. generally the special ops stratigy is somewhat suceptable to rushes, and esspecially roman rushes, (which i commonly use against monarchy users). I think this is for 2 main reasons. 1, the special ops stratigy is somewhat geared twards a developed game. and 2, there is only 1 person to defend against the rush. And BTW, when i roman rush, i usually have my ally make marines to cover against an airial counter, just so u know.

sirbutkick
sirbutkick
4 posts
Nomad

SO SO sorry for double post, but i really want to clarify. I am *NOT* Bashing on this technique, I am trying to point out a somewhat important flaw in the form of constructive critizisim. (in other words, I humbly suggest that you find a companion stratagy for your ally to counter the roman/marine rush)

And again, so sorry for the double post >.<

brandroid
brandroid
122 posts
Nomad

Monarch is good but i dont think people should be like the money one

GeneralG2x
GeneralG2x
2 posts
Nomad

good build i guess bbut it will probley take to long try to make some defence units while at it (any kind)and then make an army

23 posts
Nomad

monarchy untis will never work unless combined with other units made by urself from post and forge.

WeZG
WeZG
54 posts
Nomad

I dont like that stradegy a whole lot because you wont have enough influnce to build those specialty units and then your stuck with 3 places that just launch missles

Showing 1-15 of 17