wingbird1

wingbird1

15 posts

great idea i could have used it to recover my acc

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 8:48pm

Peter20

Peter20

436 posts

do we have enough people yet cormyn or do we need more how many more i don't think we need more do we need more

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 8:55pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,141 posts

Larry's initial thoughts: wait to see how many people request it as a feature. Frankly we haven't had many support requests from people who can't remember their own Email address.

I did a mock password recovery test, in which it took about 2 and a half days to have a link sent to change my password. If it may make the process for account recovery possible:

--Click on "forgot password"

--Be prompted with a small list of questions you yourself set in.

--After answering the questions, forcibly remove password and be given a randomized, programmed password. Afterwards, change the password, if you wish.

With this, account recovery would literally take ~10 minutes.

Posted Oct 18, '10 at 12:30pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Recovering a password via Email will be pretty quick, as it is right now, because it's just the system sending a generated message to your Email address.

A password recovery system using messages is easy to hack, because you know someone well enough and their recovery question is something like "what's the name of your pet?" or "what school do you go to?"

As I said in my reply, it's rare that someone forgets their own Email address.

Posted Oct 18, '10 at 1:50pm

Peter20

Peter20

436 posts

i changed mine since ive started my acc because gmail shut me out and if someone's steam ID is their emiail adress and someone emails ag saying i lost my acc this is my email adress i started on but this is my new one boom acc stolen
also you souldn't put obvious questions you'd put ones like what city were you born in? and who was your first friend? whaqt's your fasvorite candy? what's your mother's madin name? things like that. i think it would also saved people alot of work in the future

Posted Oct 18, '10 at 8:03pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

I'm going to write a new sticky thread soon that will explain our position on password recovery with AG3.