Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

New names for karma

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 23, '10 at 7:28pm

1337Player

1337Player

1,805 posts

I would think honor would be a good name. Rep is just overused everywhere. Almost every forum/game I go to there's always a reap system.

Honor all the way.

Posted Oct 23, '10 at 7:35pm

XXAlienGirlXX

XXAlienGirlXX

828 posts

I would think honor would be a good name. Rep is just overused everywhere. Almost every forum/game I go to there's always a reap system.
Honor all the way.

Honer sounds too... formal. Notoriety sounds cooler.

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 12:17am

samy

samy

5,043 posts

I would assume honor translates remotely well although I don't know enough about language to make that determination; and it should sound formal AG's growing up; and notoriety makes it sound like you did something bad :P

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 12:23am

samy

samy

5,043 posts

Well, from a few minutes with a translator it would seem honor translates almost literally to Chinese, Japanese, German, Russian, and all the Romance languages. Seems fairly international.

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 3:13am

knight_34

knight_34

14,286 posts

You can't do notoriety. The word basically refers to ill or unfavourable fame. Having a high "notoriety level" would probably indicate horrible behaviour. I don't understand why we should have such a system when good actions will build up a negative score.

Honour. Prestige. Reputation. My three choices.

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 4:10am

Reton8

Reton8

2,810 posts

You can't do notoriety. The word basically refers to ill or unfavourable fame. Having a high "notoriety level" would probably indicate horrible behaviour. I don't understand why we should have such a system when good actions will build up a negative score.

I would say that notoriety is not a bad thing going of the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition. (Although the phrase: "They are notorious for {insert bad thing here}." is used often.)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/notoriety

no·to·ri·e·ty

noun \\ËnÅ-tÉ-ËrÄ«-É-tÄ"\\

plural no·to·ri·e·ties
Definition of NOTORIETY

1: the quality or state of being notorious

2: a notorious person

Examples of NOTORIETY

1. He achieved instant fame and notoriety with the release of his film.

2. She gained notoriety when nude photographs of her appeared in a magazine.

3. His comment about the President has given him a notoriety that he enjoys very much.

Origin of NOTORIETY
Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French notorieté, from Medieval Latin notorietat-, notorietas, from notorius
First Known Use: circa 1650
Related to NOTORIETY

Synonyms: big name, cause célèbre (also cause celebre), celeb, figure, icon (also ikon), light, luminary, megastar, name, notability, notable, celebrity, personage, personality, somebody, standout, star, superstar, VIP

Antonyms: nobody, noncelebrity

Related Words: favorite, heartthrob, hero, idol; demigod, dignitary, eminence, immortal, monument, pillar, worthy; baron, big shot, bigwig, kahuna, magnate, mogul, nabob, panjandrum

Near Antonyms: lightweight, mediocrity; has-been

Rhymes with NOTORIETY
contrariety, impropriety, inebriety, insobriety

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 10:15am

BlackVortex

BlackVortex

1,401 posts

Not too fussed about the name itself, but I think I saw chivalry somewhere in this thread and that sounds pretty cool and fits in with the theme too, so I'd go with that

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 11:47am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,286 posts

Synonyms: big name, cause célèbre (also cause celebre), celeb, figure, icon (also ikon), light, luminary, megastar, name, notability, notable, celebrity, personage, personality, somebody, standout, star, superstar, VIP

OR...disrepute, ill-repute, shame, infamy

Being notorious is not something you want. questionable, opprobrious
scandalous,flagrant,infamous...if you wanna be these things, go right ahead. Being notorious means "widely and unfavorably known".

Besides. The team is sticking with honor until such and such with translating happens.

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 12:38pm

johnmchall

johnmchall

86 posts

what about renown? i like how renown feels. anyone else think we should go with renown?

Posted Oct 24, '10 at 2:46pm

hiyacherry

hiyacherry

432 posts

how about morals or morality?