Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Auto lock

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 11:08am

Joe96

Joe96

2,288 posts

I think that threads that have not been replied to for so long could be locked automatically if they aren't responded to after maybe 2 months or so.

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 12:42pm

Peter20

Peter20

436 posts

nah then wouldn't that take out a bunch of the mods jobs

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 1:33pm

Larmus

Larmus

83 posts

What would mods do then? Chill?

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 1:36pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,288 posts

nah then wouldn't that take out a bunch of the mods jobs

I don't think the mods are payed.

What would mods do then? Chill?

No, they would do everything else they normally do, but if threads auto locked, people wouldn't go back and bring old threads back.

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 4:54pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

Auto lock threads? Or...profile comments? :) That seems more worthwhile. Why reply many times when you know that person is gone?

No, they would do everything else they normally do, but if threads auto locked, people wouldn't go back and bring old threads back.

There is a difference between reviving and necroing. Reviving is trying as much as you can to save the life of a thread that's still holding on, while necroing is bringing a dead thread back to life with primitive methods.

While threads do go on in months, reviving them is totally legit, within reason. Sometimes making a new thread to cover the old one with many replies to it is just a waste of infinite space.

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 5:31pm

Peter20

Peter20

436 posts

I don't think the mods are payed

der but they need to keep the site clean and if they can't lock threads anymore stupid threads would be around forever

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 5:49pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

3,314 posts

But some forums get very inactive, and 2 months old could still be on the front page.

You should be able to lock your own threads.

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 5:53pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

You should be able to lock your own threads.

Maybe with a specific alignment requirement in AG3. Anyone with negative or 0 alignment wouldn't be trusted enough with this power.

Any thoughts of the auto-lock profile I suggested above?

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 5:59pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

3,314 posts

Yes, your idea is good.

Maybe with a specific alignment requirement in AG3. Anyone with negative or 0 alignment wouldn't be trusted enough with this power.

It would have to be using forum posts or merits...

Posted Oct 17, '10 at 6:32pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

Locking threads is the smallest portion of being a moderator. But there isn't much use for a tool like this.