ForumsNews and FeedbackForum "Timer"

11 4360
forro34
forro34
486 posts
Nomad

It is very annoying if you are posting actively on 2 threads at a time (or came back from a long break and have several threads you want to post on) and every time you post on one thread and then open another thread you either have to reload it several times or you have to start writing and then when you're finished, copy, reload and paste. Either way you have to reload because you can't post twice in 30 seconds. That could become a big problem if you have a slow computer!
What I was thinking is: Maybe you could make a timer that counts the seconds and at the end of the 30 seconds you can normally post without having to reload? Meanwhile you can just start writing casually and then normally post.

• 11 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

So, you're suggesting an automatic reload of the "submit" button without having to refresh the entire page?

forro34
forro34
486 posts
Nomad

Exactly that! ...Wow you put it short...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

But... if there were such a reloading submit button that reloads itself 30 seconds after you clicked it... you would still have the problem that the page itself needs to be reloaded, because that's where the button is on... or does that sound stupid? 0_o

But on the other hand... this would greatly increase the door opening for spammers to roam more freely and more easily flood the forum with Spam Posts! And we wouldn't want that happening...

forro34
forro34
486 posts
Nomad

The 30 second rule still applies though! It wouldn'd reload the page. It would be something like chat. In chat you dont have to reload the whole page every second. It does that for you... I think...

ArmorL3gend
ArmorL3gend
239 posts
Peasant

But what if you were typing a reply and the page reloads wouldnt all that text you typed go? :/

forro34
forro34
486 posts
Nomad

It's not the page that would be reloading, just your ability to post...

ArmorL3gend
ArmorL3gend
239 posts
Peasant

Soz forro34, I didn't read your first post properly 0_o

Anyway, I agree with MrDayCee who said:

But on the other hand... this would greatly increase the door opening for spammers to roam more freely and more easily flood the forum with Spam Posts! And we wouldn't want that happening...

The reason for that forum "timer" is because if there there wasn't any forum "timer" then people would spam on the forums a lot more quicker than if there was
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Forro, I understand what you're trying to say.

Only the "submit" button needs to appear after a 30 second timer, but not the entire page. If the entire page refreshes, you lose text (in some browsers).

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We'd have to be careful about implementation, though, because it would be easy for advanced users to work around an in-place timer system to post as often as they wanted.

Thankfully, though, we're building the new "karma" system (which still needs a new name) which will force spammers to wait longer between posts. Users with higher karma won't have to wait as long.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

An even better solution!

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Exactly, I asked for that a while ago too. That would be great.

Showing 1-11 of 11