ForumsNews and FeedbackDebate forums

9 3452
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Especially in WEPR, there are some threads where people debate alot. Maybe there could be a new section where people could join sides or just post as a neutral. Also, there could be a layout where the newest reply is first on the page and the first is on the last.

• 9 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think people already take sides on debates, and it'd be impractical to build this just for one forum idea. I'll consider the "newest replies first" idea though.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

What I meant is like there could be a colored box for when someone decides what side they are on (or if they're neutral) Maybe people could vote for what side they thought was right, and that could be interesting. Of course, that could be a little rough for talking about religion, but maybe stuff like immigration, abortion, etc.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

That isn't very - debately done.
We are taught that debates should be done with an open mind, so that you can learn from others. If you don't take the scientific approach to this, you will end up in emotional fight with others, building faulty argument on faulty argument, unwilling to believe there would be another or a bigger "truth" to what you think.
If this was implemented, I would point myself out to be neutral whenever I was to debate, even if I had a point of view that was equal to one of the sides.

Then again, it seems people get into the faulty, emotional arguments more often than debates anyway, especially on the topics you mention.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

These colored boxes can either be a loud-and-proud symbol or a target, if you drift my catch.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

It would be cool if the debate forums said "Debate" instead of World Events, Politics, Religion, etc. Because where do you post something that you want to debate that isn't a world event, political, or religious. What if I just want to talk about a World event, but don't want to debate it. Then it still goes in the "World events, Politcis, Religion, etc." forum?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

That's where the freedom lies, Reton. Something typically for the WEPR is the usual debate topics, but it can also be for current situations and events that go national and international. Scientific findings, current world events, yadda yadda. There's discussing, and then there's debating. You can do both in ANY forum in AG, but it's generally for the WEPR.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

That's where the freedom lies, Reton. Something typically for the WEPR is the usual debate topics, but it can also be for current situations and events that go national and international. Scientific findings, current world events, yadda yadda. There's discussing, and then there's debating. You can do both in ANY forum in AG, but it's generally for the WEPR.

Oh, okay. so it alright to post a debatable topic that doesn't fit world event, politics, or religion (it would fit the etc. though) and you can post topics that fit world events, politics, or religion that are to just be discussed. (But those type of topics usually turn into debates.) Alright, cool, I didn't know about this.

But, then, if I post a debatable topic that's not a world event, political, or religious, in the Tavern is it in the wrong spot?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, it usually depend on the topic and how serious you want the discussion. Your word-issue go well in the Tavern, but a topic on, say, nuclear fusion, should probably go in the WEPR.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As I've already said, we're not going to develop something like this. You're welcome to debate in the forums, but we're not going to micro-manage our forums by building single-use features like that. If you really want the world to know where you stand, put it on your profile.

Showing 1-9 of 9