ForumsNews and FeedbackEmbedded Videos in Threads/Posts

12 4612
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Video's should be allowed to be embedded in threads and Post like on facebook (were they have to be clicked before they play). I know embedded walkthrough videos have been suggested on game pages, but this is for the forums.

It's probably already being implemented, but I don't want it to be overlooked.

• 12 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

The code used on Arcade Boss looks like this:

[youtube]videourlgoeshere[/youtube]

I wouldn't be surprised if they used that code. It seems like the most logical way to do it, as it can't be too hard to do...

But I don't know a thing about coding.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That would be cool...Only thing is I still have a tough time getting an image on here :P

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Unless I'm blind, I went through all 9 pages of this forum and found no other thread that primarily talked about embedding videos on threads. I poked around though, and found that no one likes having videos on threads because the thread should load very quickly. The only thing I could think of is that the team could work around the framework and make a {youtube} {/youtube} BBCode so that it would put the video there and still have the option to click on said video. If the videos load automatically, good bye forums.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Unless I'm blind, I went through all 9 pages of this forum and found no other thread that primarily talked about embedding videos on threads. I poked around though, and found that no one likes having videos on threads because the thread should load very quickly. The only thing I could think of is that the team could work around the framework and make a {youtube} {/youtube} BBCode so that it would put the video there and still have the option to click on said video. If the videos load automatically, good bye forums.

Yeah, same thoughts here though. If they loaded automatically that would be bad.

But, have you ever noticed how it's handled on facebook. They just appear as thumbnails with a play button for the most part. They are NOT set to automatically play. The video must be clicked on to play it. When the page first loads the videos load just as a small thumbnail image would, because it is just a thumbnail preview until you click on it. It happens very fast. That's the kind of embedded video, I'm talking about.( Unless that technique has a different name.)

I was surprised it was suggested yet either.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

It was mentioned within another thread about [video]xxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/video]. But, I'd agree with it. I'm not sure it should be allowed in every forum section, though.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Then the best way, to have both sides happy, would be to make a separate forum where you can upload/link certain videos! =)

But, I don't think this is a good idea though...
- Risk of having obscene videos posted;
- Lagging in pages loading;
- Risk of having 1000s of threads called "I like THIS video!!"...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

If there is anyway to, at first, have the video show up as a link so people can see what the video is about, then, after clicking it, bring up the video itself so they can watch it, that would clear up many negative issues. After all, if it is not automatically viewed, individual users have less time to bring up a full page, they can check if the page is obscene, aaand....actually, the third one the mods can take care of that if it's spammy enough.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

True on all counts! But having to load all those extra links and video previews would cause some extra lagging in the page load there...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Well the idea is to only load the links until you yourself click on it, so the rest of the page would fully load. It would be only until you click on the link when the actual video loads.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I could certainly see the benefits in some areas. For instance:

1. Video Game section could post game clips and trailers
2. WEPR posts links to videos anyway for citation purposes

And that's about all I could see the need for videos.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Well I still say look at how facebook handles it. They only load when click and the thumbnails load practically instantly. But facebook isn't a forum so I don't know how it works coding wise.

I think posting music videos in popular media thread. Although it could get spammy?

And any type of animations done could be posted in the art music and writing forum.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We've already discussed having an area where people can showcase their SWF files, art, music, etc., on AG3 at some point. I doubt we're going to bother with a [youtube] tag in the forums, but *may* do something like that ONLY when writing a game review/spolier.

Showing 1-12 of 12