ForumsNews and Feedbacki dont think the karma points thing is going to work well for many ag users

36 8297
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

ive been offine and have not found time for ag because hunting season started again

i feel that fourum posts should not be restricted

• 36 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think you've misread our messages. We've said that forum posts WILL be part of the reputation (karma) system.

Can you describe what you thought was being "restricted" ?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I think he meant that if you go down on karma, you will lose the ability to write posts?

Also, GAH! Titles should not explain the entire topic of the thread. If it can't be replaced with "kitten" without ruining the understanding of the thread, then you should rewrite the opening post as well as the title!!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Reputation points really just reward and detriment the users who follow it properly. As far as I'm concerned, it would take a pretty big amount of negative Reputation to really limit anything. Having a positive reputation score would be beneficial to the forum poster. We should think of...summore benefits

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

It would be hard to redeem yourself from negative karma.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I dont think thats really fair Cenere

To ask people to make sure their titles aren't hellish long, and that they use the opening post for what it was meant for?
BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

what would the waiting time be anyway for positive/negative reputation?
be a bit stupid if people just go around voting their mates up so they can just write quicker on forums and have no wait, as I'll expect to happen anyway.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

To ask people to make sure their titles aren't hellish long, and that they use the opening post for what it was meant for?

We created the word lazy, what do you think?

I'm looking forward to the new system, if only to see what it'll be like.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

There won't ever be a "no wait" system. I imagine the minimum will be enforced no mater what your reputation level is.

As far as redeeming yourself from negative reputation, we're looking at some algorithms for "decaying" the reputation score. The longer you're off the site, the more "neutral" your reputation becomes.

For example, if you were flagged as a spammer in the past, and dipped below 0 reputation, that maybe after a period of time, you'll get back to 0 because you haven't contributed anything bad. Likewise, if you contributed a lot of good content in the past, but then haven't been on the site for a year, your reputation should also be close to 0 because you haven't contributed anything positive to the site, either.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

if people just go around voting their mates up

We've addressed this idea in another post ... the reputation you gain from a 'friend' voting up something you write will be less than if a 'follower' likes something, and the amount of reputation you gain from a 'follower' will be less than if a complete stranger likes what you write.

It might be something like:

JoeUser writes a new comment on a game
JoesFriend likes it, JoeUser gains 0.25 reputation
JoesFollower likes it, JoeUser gains 0.5 reputation
CompleteStranger likes it, JoeUser gains 1.0 reputation
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Oh, and those values aren't necessarily reflective of what we're actually scoring, it was just an example.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Sounds like it would balance out accordingly! Of course some eyebrows would be raised if someone had +75 vote ups when there were only 20 replies, so that's another way of cracking down on the vote spam.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I don't follow your logic. You make it sound like you can only vote on someone else's post if you reply? There's no reason to restrict someone from voting on a comment if they don't choose to reply/respond.

Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

yeah but im pretty sure there will be a lot of vote spam
how will that be reduced?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

NoobSlayer, I'm not sure what else needs explanation given what we've already talked about, but I'm happy to discuss it more if you need more clarification.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Will the voters' IP address be logged so there's no one voting up themselves easily by use of alternative accounts?

Will there be a limit of some sort to how many posts in which you can vote someone's rep? Like, no running around voting up every comment you see by a specific user.

What's stopping a coalition of AG goers from ganging up on another member's reputation?

Showing 1-15 of 36