ForumsNews and Feedbacki dont think the karma points thing is going to work well for many ag users

36 8298
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

ive been offine and have not found time for ag because hunting season started again

i feel that fourum posts should not be restricted

• 36 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You make a quality post to get higher rep, but knowing that you will lose the rep, if you take a break, really removes the drive to put effort into the posts.

Where have I heard that before...
"If the mods don't reward merits anymore, I don't want to make the effort!"
I take prolonged breaks sometimes, because I need to write assignments or generally need a break from the internet. I wouldn't mind that I would go down in rep just because of this, because with every day I am not online, there will be thousands of new users that don't know me, who will log in. To say it otherwise: You cannot be a celebrity, if you don't show yourself.

Besides, this is like the armorpoints over again: I don't care about it, people who do seem to have some sort of addiction to it anyway.

Aren't you just going to come back to the site once or so a month make a lame post to "stay active" and keep your rep up?

That seems odd. "I don't want to be here anymore, but I don't want to lose my progress, even though I have no reason to get back. Making this extra effort of course makes me look self centred, but I will log in anyway to keep it up, even though it doesn't really do anything."

I think it is fine. Otherwise we should let the negative rep be permanent as well, and find a way for the ones with negative rep to work it off. Which will be hard when they can't actually do anything.
Equal and fair.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

That seems odd. "I don't want to be here anymore, but I don't want to lose my progress, even though I have no reason to get back. Making this extra effort of course makes me look self centred, but I will log in anyway to keep it up, even though it doesn't really do anything."

It's not that the person doesn't want to be there anymore, but that their life may have changed to a point where they can't visit the site so often (something like school, work, getting older and having more responsibilities, family, etc.). They just can't make that kind of time for it. They can't wait too long and log only when they have freetime, during a vacation or something like that, because they're rep will have decayed. So they log on in a hurry, before school or something, and then make one or two lame posts. When, instead they would have just waited until they had decent free time and then posted quality posts like normal.

I mean even if you didn't care about the rep at first, posted a bunch of quality posts over a period of time and gained a high rep level, I still feel like that person would have some "attachment" to their rep and that walking away from all the achievement just to watch it dwindle would be difficult to do.

I know it easy to say,"Then don't take extended breaks from the site." or "Just post one decent post a week so you don't become inactive." But if you really enjoy the site, but you have a large homework load for your current school year, or have school and work, etc. It's understandable that you would not want to visit the site at all for that period because you need to focus on your study and if you go on the site you know it won't be for just a minute or two. (Like facebook, the good old, "I'll study right after I check my facebook for just a sec." and then "Where did the time go I was on there for two hours?"

I guess with the current system you kind of have to weigh how quality a user is by post count and merits. With the rep system you can use the rep too. But, if you are a really quality contributor, a "legend" on the site, spend a bunch of time on the site and then retire, lose your rep, and then come back, people are only going to know your "legendary" status from your post count and merits. Isn't that the current system we have now? Doesn't that make the rep system pointless?

To say it otherwise: You cannot be a celebrity, if you don't show yourself.

I feel like the benchmark system I purposed earlier mimics real life scenarios better. (Did I really just say that? and why is this post so long?) An unknown, rookie basketball player has to build up his rep. He does good for two season and local fans come to know him as a decent player. Then He gets injured and can't play a season. The buzz surrounding him goes down, but he doesn't become an unknown again, he has passed that benchmark. He recovers from his injuries and comes back to play the next three seasons. He proves himself to be a star player and makes the all-star team each of those seasons. His rep has gone up and now he is known across the nation, not just by the locals. But, then he has two bad seasons. He loses some rep, but he has passed a benchmark, he will always be known across the nation and just by locals. The player gets it together and for the rest of his career he is the best. He wins champion after champion. Scores tons of points every game. He has become legendary. He is known in different nations. Even where the sport isn't so big. He has passed another benchmark.

Do you see how his rep went up and down, sometimes due to inactivity, but he passed benchmarks were he couldn't really go down past (unless he did really bad, like the equivalent of spamming). At the end he becomes like a " legend".
Does Micheal Jordan have to come out of retirement and play one game every season to keep his rep up? I would hope not. So to say he has passed a benchmark. He's rep as one of the greatest players in basketball isn't going away because he doesn't play anymore. (Although I guess after hundreds of years he will be forgotten. But, that's a really long time before the rep decay should take effect.)

Sorry this is such a rant and so long.

I guess the inactivity decay makes sense, but i think the benchmark system is best. That you shouldn't necessarily go to zero rep from just inactivity. (Well, looks like I'm gaining a rep for being the person who can't paraphrase their thoughts and make a short concise post.)
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

ex 1: user Ernie 15
he took a quite long break, but he's still a legend.
His rep should go to zero?
ex 2: me
I'm going to stay in hospital for a month, and there's no wi-fi there, and i don't want to spent all my money in internet connection.
plz don't reset my rep!

PS: is the name reputation definitive?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Those were nice posts you guys but you are forgetting that all you have to do is just do 1 thing on your account to refresh your due date. A simple update to your profile is all you need.

Where have I heard that before...
"If the mods don't reward merits anymore, I don't want to make the effort!"

^ THIS. Just do the posts. Don't think of that vacation or break that probably won't happen. If you have to leave, then at least try to update the profile ONCE to refresh the due date.

I also like the benchmark system. Legends don't just fade completely away from society; they have a set amount of a fame threshold that is defined as "legendary".

Also, since no one has said it, Jesus has like 1,000,000 reputation for a benchmark.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

As long as my last post was. Like you said Freankenstein just update your profile once or something.That wouldn't be so bad. I'm pretty sure I will be pleased with AG3 no matter what system they use for reputation (even if it decays to zero after extended breaks from the site).

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Reton8 made some good points, especially comparing it to basketball. We'll take all of this into consideration. Dan had some thoughts yesterday on the whole reputation system, so we need to rework it all.

I'll re-open this thread when we're ready to discuss it again.

Showing 31-36 of 36