ForumsNews and Feedbackrating scale

10 4100
Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

ok so if you play a game then say wow this is a terrible game the give it 6 because you think thats the proper place so you gave an inaccurate rating. so heres what i think if for example you put your cursor on 4 to rate it the a tag pops up and sayes not very good but then move it up to 5 and it sayes ok so you know exactly what your giving then based on the average rating it would tell how good the gameis like if the average rating is 7 then itd say this game is good. tell me what you think

• 10 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

The problem with that is if you really do think the game is that bad, you would have to rate it higher than you give it credit for.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

The problem with that is if you really do think the game is that bad, you would have to rate it higher than you give it credit for.

no you'd just rate it lower if you thought it was horrible you'd give it a 1 or 2 depending on what the tag said
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

You mean like just a recommendation? I'm still not very convinced. I think that you should just be able to re-rate games. That way, it would be easy to evaluate a game before you finished, and games that were initially rated low would be rated higher.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

yes like a recommender

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I would point out how people act around scales, possibly with some documentation, but I doubt it would lead anywhere.
Instead, I will just point out that people will act mostly the same whether they have words for it or not.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We've looked at lots of different ways to change the rating system, including a slider scale instead of just clicking on the rating bar like we have now. Whether we do a pop-up message is another matter we'll discuss, but I like the idea.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Why not place the rater scale vertically then?

I'll try to quickly build one in this post, but I'm not sure if it will come out right... :/

(First scale for average rating combined,
second one to make your personal rating...)

10 O O Excellent
__ O O ..
_9 O O Great
__ O O ..
_8 O O Very good
__ O O ..
_7 O O Good
__ O O ..
_6 O O Reasonable
__ O O ..
_5 O O Mediocre
__ O O ..
_4 O O Bad
__ O O ..
_3 O O Very bad
__ O O ..
_2 O O Awfull
__ O O ..
_1 O O Not worth playing
__ O O ..

This way the problem would be solved right away!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Your vertical scale turned out nicely. Unfortunately it'll be harder to implement a vertical rating bar than a horizontal bar, but the rating strings you've provided will be quite helpful if we got that route. We're also considering just a simple like/dislike button for the game, and prompt the user to write a full review (or rate other things about the game as we've discussed elsewhere, like artwork or music) if they want to say why they like/dislike the game. It's still a bit up in the air and we're discussing it thoroughly this month.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I really want to have more than one thing to rate in a game, but I fear it would be too complicated, both to me and to others. I would rather have only the overall rating affect where the game stands and only have the detailed rating as an option. As I proposed in....jebus where'd that other one go....the other rating thread, you could have a drop-down box or a quick link to be able to rate different aspects of the game. You could have something like "DETAILED RATING:" with an up arrow next to it that, when clicked, brought down the other things to rate below the regular rating. That would push the comments down, but when you're done, you can bring it back up to see them if you want.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we've already discussed detailed ratings etc. in other threads. We're trying to find a good balance of (a) how to migrate the old 0.0-10.0 ratings, but also let users expand on their rating (if they choose). However, people weigh things differently. I tend not to pay attention to music, but I *love* artwork. Etc. We'll discuss those bits another time, in another thread.

Showing 1-10 of 10