ForumsNews and FeedbackLinking Forum Threads To Games

13 4049
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Basically if someone writes a walk through for a game in the forums they would have the ability to "tag" the game thus linking it to the game causing it to appear in a "related forum" box under the game.

• 13 Replies
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

I think this is a good idea. Maybe have a heading saying Walkthrough
or something different if it wasn't a walkthrough.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

This is actually a very good idea. Not only for walkthroughs, but also for discussions. Half the time no one knows where to put such discussions (for some reason the walkthrough section seems to get most of them), and there will be a lot of duplicates. This way it would be easier to point out where to go for the general discussion and for the walkthrough, and easier to locate the dups.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We've looked at having walkthroughs and reviews written right on the game play page itself, and not in the forums. While I like the idea of cross-linking between the two, we probably want to avoid having redundant places to find information.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Ahm, call me stupid, but isn't a walkthrough link already clearly implemented on the game page next to the game developer's name? 0_o
And are the comment sections underneath the game on the right side not intended for writing reviews about the games? 0_o

Have I been doing it all wrong all along then?! :P

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

MrDayCee, Samy is asking for a place where users can write additional walk-throughs, not the "official" walk-through provided by AG or the game developer.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I'm kinda likin' the thought of doing it the GameFAQs way. Rather than post walkthroughs on a thread, they would post walkthoughs where the game itself would be. So when you click on a game and see "GAME WALKTHROUGHS", you would click on that and be brought up the walkthroughs either made by the developer, by the users, or both (the official one can have an indicator or something). You could maybe go even further as to rate how useful the walkthrough is and point out if it's missing any info.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, I'd hesitate to let users post on what they think is missing in a walk-through -- only a game developer could write a comprehensive end-to-end game walk-through.

samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

While I like the idea of cross-linking between the two, we probably want to avoid having redundant places to find information.

I understand that but couldn't we still have only one thread but two different links (one on the game one in the forums themselves). Also as Cen said it would be awesome if all things pertaining to the game could be linked to it.
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

We've looked at having walkthroughs and reviews written right on the game play page itself, and not in the forums.

If you used this, you would probably have to have a show/hide button so it didn't take up too much space.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We already have a way to show/hide blocks of information on the play page, so we can block walkthroughs by default. I just don't want to confuse users who aren't sure whether to post their walkthrough on the game page or in the forum. Plus allowing walkthroughs in the forums means admins and mods have to deal with duplicate threads. This is why I'd much rather just have them on the game page, and maybe allow users to post comments on them.

We'll have to discuss this as a team over here for a while first.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Or y'all could do this. Like at the start of your post you could be un-lazy and write "Walkthrough/Guide of Age of War" or whatever.

Just something I noticed, when I searched for Age of War it wasn't where it usually is in the search, at the bottom. In fact, it wasn't there. I had to use history D:

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

We've looked at having walkthroughs and reviews written right on the game play page itself, and not in the forums. While I like the idea of cross-linking between the two, we probably want to avoid having redundant places to find information.

So true. I have seen many games with many threads, one example being colony. It would be pretty redundant
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Do you mean adding a link to the game where if you click that link you be directed to a thread that is a discussion/walkthroughs only? I think that's a good idea. What you could add to it is have the title state "OFFICIAL [Insert game name here] Thread".

Showing 1-13 of 13