ForumsNews and FeedbackPage's Last Post

10 4018
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Go ahead, call me lazy, but on my tiny laptop when I'm going backwards through pages and pages of threads I feel it would help. Alot.

My idea is that when you press the page selection at the bottom of a thread (under all the posts and above the reply box) it takes you to the last post on the page you select and using the one at the top of the page would take you to the top. With the current (glitchy) 'last post' system this would be extremely hard to implement, but I'm hoping AG3 has the potential for something like this.

• 10 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Top buttons to the top of the page and bottom buttons to the bottom? Shouldn't be too tough. It sounds more like positioning the page correctly. That's what happens when we do #messenger in our Abouts or #merits on the help page--it takes us directly to them! So if the buttons add a #top and a #bottom url, it should work like you want.

Zaork
Zaork
439 posts
Nomad

Ooooh oooh oooh, idea. I'm going to hijack this thread with my thoughts. How about a 'take me to my last comment' button, or alternatively, a 'take me to page x'? This would significantly reduce sifting time through those long threads that explode overnight.

And also I agree with your idea.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Zaork, that's been covered several times.

Pazx, try hitting your HOME/END keys. Most browsers will jump to the top/bottom of the web page. We'll look at a "last page" link.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Maybe this sounds a bit lazy... but how about buying a simple mouse to attach to the laptop (I recon they cost cheap change nowadays) and use the scroll wheel on that to navigate the thread pages?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Ah, I missed the point about the tiny laptop. I assume it's a netbook, which may not have HOME/END keys. Still, for accessibility standards, it might be a good idea to have a "back to top" button at the bottom of the forum thread, near this reply area.

If you click on a "last post" link, it *should* scroll down to that post in your browser if there are lots of replies in the thread.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Pazx, try hitting your HOME/END keys. Most browsers will jump to the top/bottom of the web page. We'll look at a "last page" link.

Also, if you have a Mac, if you hold function/left or right arrow key, the page will go to the top/bottom of the page.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Tiny eeePC netbook >_>

If you click on a "last post" link, it *should* scroll down to that post in your browser if there are lots of replies in the thread.

And the reason it doesn't work half the time is because mods delete posts I believe. I'd really like to see that fixed in AG3 and it could be as simple as instead of linking to the last post, it links to the reply box area as in profiles using '#messenger' and whatnot.

Or it could work like the find system most browsers have.

Or I could stop being lazy

Still, for accessibility standards, it might be a good idea to have a "back to top" button at the bottom of the forum thread, near this reply area.

That'd be pretty helpful for people like me.
iFyre
iFyre
48 posts
Nomad

Why not put a scroll box on a long comment to reduce it's space and add more for other comments?

EmptyHead
EmptyHead
14 posts
Nomad

then what about when your in the middle

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Some of the questions here make for good ideas, but they're impractical to design and develop in our forum software.

Showing 1-10 of 10