ForumsNews and Feedbackcustomize ads

10 3956
zasgat
zasgat
142 posts
Nomad

maybe we could customize ads because today while playing a game a video ad popped up for a web show especially designed for girls and i am a boy. maybe we could take a short survey about what we like.

• 10 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I don't think AG controls the ads. If I heard right, it's google that puts them up, so I'm not sure how that would work.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Some ad networks can let us pass uder-identifying data, like gender, age range, etc., but we're not a huge fan of the whole creepy behavioral targeting that some ad networks do. James and I worked for an ad optimization company (The Rubicon Project) that made this very easy to do, but at some point you realize that ad networks end up knowing WAY more about you than you really want them to.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Still, the ads and what we get for selling apps on iTunes pay our salaries, so I'm not going to complain too loudly about the ads. )

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

well,i would agree.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

I question why you would want ads tailored to you.. they'd be even more distracting IMO.

And why would you want to give up your personal info to random companies for targeted ads in the first place...?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Exactly I don't even use facebook or post even remotely significant things on the Internet. The last thing I want is ad companies building up a profile on me.

PrideRage
PrideRage
151 posts
Nomad

I totally agree with Darkroot.
Those ad companies get so much data about you and you don't notice it.
If there's a little ad next to my AG game I'm not disturbed. But I personally never see an ad on AG.

Although a bit of customization would be great, but can't be realized.

Try living with the negative stuff.
If you can live with the bad things it will get easier over time to ignore the ads.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

I don't know why anyone would want ads tailored to them.. creepy xD

~RR~

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

I would never give out any personal info to ad companies. Not even my gender. just ignore the ads like everybody else does.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I would never give out any personal info to ad companies. Not even my gender.

You might have heard of the expression "Big brother is watching you..."?
Not to discourage you to go online or even frighten the living daylights out of you, but once you go on the internet, (almost) everything you do (write/click/visit/etc.) is monitored on a lot of websites... take 'Google' for an example: they track a lot of stuff you look up through their website and 'help' you the next time you want to use their 'free search tool'... they even provide 'free programs' to 'help' you search easier! Leaves some room for thought huh?

just ignore the ads like everybody else does.

THIS is an undesirable thing to do 'thaboss'... you might wonder why?!
Well, cormyn stated it clearly in his post above:
"Still, the ads and what we get for selling apps on iTunes pay our salaries, so I'm not going to complain too loudly about the ads. )"
So clicking advertisements on ArmorGames is something needed and therefor not to be discouraged...

If you want to read more info on why this is something users need to keep doing, just read the thread made by 'Klaushouse' about why ads are useful to ArmorGames... it's all clearly stated in there!

Man... this thread was buried! But I found it with my 'google shovel'! LOL hahaa... :P
Showing 1-10 of 10