Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Plagiarism and Reliable Sources

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 10:05am

Firehands

Firehands

5 posts

I personally am against direct plagiarism; however, for anyone who has read Malcolm Gladwell, there is a difference between simply stealing someone else's work and building off of it. Inventors throughout history have improved upon each others products. Everything from the steam engine to the iPod was "invented" by people who saw a good idea and made it better.

Posted Dec 18, '11 at 6:26pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,288 posts

I hate citing in MLA format.  I haven't been following this thread, so it may be off topic, but when I had to use the format for an English project, it was not very fun, especially considering the reverse indentation stuff where you have to tab at the end of the line...why does this MLA thing always have to change and become harder?

Posted Jan 1, '12 at 6:12pm

DontDoDrug

DontDoDrug

29 posts

If you copy two word from another author, you are plageraism

Posted Jan 7, '12 at 8:14pm

guitarsuperman

guitarsuperman

2 posts

Thanks, great information. Always cite and reference the original. NEVER plagiarize. My lawsuit funding firm has stumbled upon a few cases involving plagiarism last year.

Posted Jan 10, '12 at 6:29am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

I hate citing in MLA format.  I haven't been following this thread, so it may be off topic, but when I had to use the format for an English project, it was not very fun, especially considering the reverse indentation stuff where you have to tab at the end of the line...why does this MLA thing always have to change and become harder?

There are always sites that can code it and crunch it out for you.

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 2:48pm

Naoto1994

Naoto1994

19 posts

Plagiarism is a big problem, especially with the growth of more sites full of borrowed, un-cited information. This makes the proprietors of works, books, thesis's and other important documents lose their recognition for their work. I believe that the effort educational facilities are doing to cut out plagiarism is excellent and should remain in function.

Posted Jan 26, '12 at 7:25pm

Ploder

Ploder

20 posts

Not too big of a deal, just cite your sources and paraphrase when ever you can. You can use Citation Machine if you need help with the format of a bibliography. Also, scroll all the way down on a Wiki article to find the sources in the "Reference" tab.

Posted Jan 31, '12 at 5:55am

melimouse

melimouse

108 posts

Ok, I've been gone for awhile, but I was overjoyed to see this as well as the thread on basic logic. Plagiarism is definitely rampant in our society and having resources and rules such as these shows the maturity and integrity of the people in this section.

Posted Mar 5, '12 at 12:36pm

NDD21

NDD21

1 post

I agree, I hate plagiarism. So many people in my class plagiarizes, and it takes away from those who actually do the work.

Posted May 25, '12 at 3:50pm

tric

tric

13 posts

I really do hate it when people plagiarize! Luckily, it's becoming easier and easier for teachers and, well, anyone to find out if a work is plagiarized or not. I think the internet really has decreased plagiarism.

Reply to Plagiarism and Reliable Sources

You must be logged in to post a reply!