Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Plagiarism and Reliable Sources

Posted Nov 10, '12 at 3:48pm

Skulltivator

Skulltivator

647 posts

She says that Google sorts out information by popularity. If you think about that is true.

That would explain why it's so hard to find relevant information on certain subjects. Google can be a pain in the brain if you want to find specific details on something.

Posted Nov 10, '12 at 3:56pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

my English Teacher explains that Google is not reliable.

Either you misunderstood your English teacher, or your English teacher doesn't know what she is talking about.

Google is a search engine. It functions on key words and boolean search methods. Yes, people can pay to have their websites show up at the top in cases of those key words, and the auto-complete function is based on popular search terms. The results you get from Google depend on how precise of a search you do and the topic.

Not even Wikipedia is reliable for obvious reasons.

Wikipedia is a good starting place to learn basic information about whatever. If ever you don't trust something it says, look at the citation where the information is coming from.

Only good reliable sources are primary sources such as, books, newspapers, objects.

I don't think you understand what a primary source is. A primary source is information given by someone directly related to the event or topic, or research personally conducted. This doesn't make it any more accurate necessarily than a secondary source, which is information that was learned from somewhere else and reapplied.

Books, newspapers, interviews, artifacts and such show a different side, but you have to remember that (in cases of newspaper/interviews/books) these were written or said by people who hold an opinion and are going to present their information in a way that follows their thoughts.

Even son websites will be relliable (Government databases). Those are some of the most reliable sources you can ever use.

The tag at the end is usually a good indicator for preliminary searching on whether you have a possible good source. .edu and .gov are often good, but it helps to check the credentials of where the information is coming from.

Google can be a pain in the brain if you want to find specific details on something.

You just have to learn how to use it.

Quick tutorial on how to use boolean search terms and what they do.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 2:18pm

Skulltivator

Skulltivator

647 posts

You just have to learn how to use it.

That doesn't work for everything. Specific details cannot always be found this way. If, for example you want to know the name of Gary Busey's maternal grandmother, boolean search terms aren't going to help you there. The most popular results are always going to be about Gary Busey, not about his maternal grandmother, and you can't search "gary busey's maternal grandmother NOT gary busey" because his name is already in the search and you can't expect to find results about his grandmother that don't mention him.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 4:46pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

. If, for example you want to know the name of Gary Busey's maternal grandmother, boolean search terms aren't going to help you there. The most popular results are always going to be about Gary Busey, not about his maternal grandmother, and you can't search "gary busey's maternal grandmother NOT gary busey" because his name is already in the search and you can't expect to find results about his grandmother that don't mention him.

Sure they can help.

Just do "Gary Busey AND grandmother"

I found his maternal grandmother's name in under 20 seconds.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 4:56pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

i tried the technique for a movie title that i didn't remember.
but wasn't able to find the movie. only a dozen other movies.

there are things you can't find this way. (or any other way for this example xD (only a 30 sec click on youtube in greek.)

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 5:33pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

i tried the technique for a movie title that i didn't remember.

You can't search for information on something if you don't know what you're looking for...duh.

there are things you can't find this way

Of course there are. However, you can find at least some information on -most- topics if you do it right. There's also the difference between getting results, and getting good results.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 5:47pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

You can't search for information on something if you don't know what you're looking for...duh.

i know what i look for. but a description is to long for google. it will find to much.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 6:52pm

xerox

xerox

512 posts

Guys, i couldn't understand a word from the beginning mostly because when its too long, it too tough to read and i cant read it. Do what is this all about?

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 6:56pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

Guys, i couldn't understand a word from the beginning mostly because when its too long, it too tough to read and i cant read it. Do what is this all about?

Plagiarism is: The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 6:57pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

i know what i look for. but a description is to long for google. it will find to much.

Well...this got cut off so double post time. You don't use a search engine for that partydevil. Like blaming a blender for not being able to cook steak.

Reply to Plagiarism and Reliable Sources

You must be logged in to post a reply!