ForumsNews and FeedbackAutomatic Profile Comments Locker

19 5464
waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

I have noticed that inactive profiles often wind up getting spamed a lot. So my idea, have it so that profile comments get disabled if the user is gone for X amount of time. That probably would help cut back on spam a good deal. So what do you think?

• 19 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Like to say that if people are inactive for about 2-3 months the comments should be disabled and if the user is gone for 4-5 months then AG could just delete the user.

I do agree with you waluigi. I do see people posting on inactive profiles just to boost there AP.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

I really like this idea. Too many old accounts get spammed. There are even groups of users that do it together. However, I don't agree with deleting the user.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I don't agree with deleting the user.

I think that if you quit AG or are inactive for a long time the user should be deleted.
but tell me why you think otherwise.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

1. Good idea.
2. If you see people spamming inactive accounts, do come report them all, instead of just mentioning them as some kind of issue. Fact is it is possible for Cormyn to close the comments after all spam has been removed (at least as far as I know), so reporting the places where this happen would be a great help, and reduce the spam greatly.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, I can toggle any user's "allow comments" setting.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

this would help a lot to stop spamming. i think you should delete the user only after sending an email asking them if its ok after its inactive for a long period of time as suggested here (don't just look at the first page!!!)

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I can toggle any user's "allow comments" setting.

I think we should have something like this with AG3. Perhaps allow users to 'block' certain people from posting on their profile, something similar to an 'ignore' function. I'm thinking I've seen this mentioned somewhere else, however I couldn't find it.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Perhaps allow users to 'block' certain people from posting on their profile, something similar to an 'ignore' function. I'm thinking I've seen this mentioned somewhere else, however I couldn't find it.

If you take a look at the privacy functions in Beta, we get to toggle who gets to *insert action or function here*: friends, followers, and/or everyone else. I don't remember off the top of my head what the functions are, but messaging is one of them. I'm also forbidden to use the laptop for beta rofl
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I noticed something like that, but I hadn't heard anything concrete about the functionality of all of those functions. Fortunately they'll be coming online for us to test soon

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I also say that those might not be all that is going to be given in the long run--the team might find more things to "block out" for us when AG3 goes live Cannot wait!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

i think you should delete the user only after sending an email asking them if its ok after its inactive for a long period of time

We have no plans to ever delete a user's profile.

I think we should have something like this with AG3. Perhaps allow users to 'block' certain people from posting on their profile, something similar to an 'ignore' function. I'm thinking I've seen this mentioned somewhere else, however I couldn't find it.

Yes, we're already doing this. It's part of the privacy settings. You can set things like "I want my achievements to be available to: friends/followers/everyone/nobody (pick one)"

You'll also be able to block a particular user from ever contacting you, however moderators and administrators will have the ability to contact you at any time.

You can also block a user's particular kind of activity, like "I want to stay friends with MrWalker82, but I don't want to see his high score submission activities"
ArmorL3gend
ArmorL3gend
239 posts
Peasant

This is Armorgames and not a "social website" or however called, like bookface or Facecomp or whatever. Dun ...

Read this forum, it might change you mind
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Read this forum, it might change you mind

*thread

I agree with this idea. Though I've always wondered why points are given out for profile comments. I have only seen such nonsense on this site. Of course I support the removal of this "reward" for commenting.
MrWarlord
MrWarlord
11 posts
Nomad

Why you want to delete a user's profile? What if their computer broke and they couldn't get it fixed for a while? What if they were just wanted to do something else and had intentions of coming back?

I would never delete anyone's account except if it was because they were banned or something.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

Why you want to delete a user's profile? What if their computer broke and they couldn't get it fixed for a while? What if they were just wanted to do something else and had intentions of coming back?

inactive users take up space and provide a template for spammers, and if their off for months, then they should think about other means of getting on, or just having a sleep option where the profile is locked down preventing it from spammers or deletion
Showing 1-15 of 19