ForumsNews and FeedbackAutomatic Profile Comments Locker

19 5465
waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

I have noticed that inactive profiles often wind up getting spamed a lot. So my idea, have it so that profile comments get disabled if the user is gone for X amount of time. That probably would help cut back on spam a good deal. So what do you think?

• 19 Replies
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Well, with the new AG3 the system should switch to "Just friends" can comment on your profile after a certain amount of time. After even more time it should then switch to "Comments closed".

That way if you do take an extended break from the site, but your friends ask you a question or something, you would be able to see it. Or if you are getting e-mails from a friends comments on your profile, it might entice a user you stopped visiting the site to come back.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Lemme look on that...

Yeah, on the dashboard, it says "Status Updates & Biography", which suggests the status posts that we can comment back and forth. So from what is posted now, it looks like you have the option to limit who gets to post on your updates and who doesn't. We'll have to see what happens later on, however.

With that being said, if we have these status posts to comment on, do we also get to have regular profile comments? If there will be a comment locker feature, will it close down all status posts in the Activity Stream?

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, I can toggle any user's "allow comments" setting.

That is hax, cormyn, and you know it...

I didn't even notice for a while...
I guess this option couldn't hurt.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

That is hax, cormyn, and you know it...

It's also my job to keep comment spammers from abusing the system by posting hundreds or thousands of messages on profiles of users who don't visit the site very often. ;o)
Showing 16-19 of 19