ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Space for chatting?

Thread Locked

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 8:01am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

When we last had a chatroom, it was a very scary thing. It would of been easier if we had created the chatroom instead of using Meebo, seeing as mods could not ban anyone in the room itself.

What about the xat chat rooms. If one or all the Administrators were to make it they would be the main owners of it. They could also make other people main owners if they like or make them members, mods, owners, or main owner.

If we get a chatroom where mods can be made/selected and such, then it might work out. Take into account the PM system and even if there were no mods currently in the chat, a PM could be sent out to a mod if something happened. Mod hops on, lays down the law and goes on his/her/its merry way.

I'm sure that would work. I like the xat chat rooms though seeing that you can appoint people to control them. You can just leave a tab open with the chat room though.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 8:06am

mrtim

mrtim

2,052 posts

I think it would be better if we have our own chat-room if we are going to have it. Yes Xat is a good one, but we need mods on at most times. I think we can all agree to have only one room in the chat, unlike Meebo. As Ian said, lack of moderation is the key as to why we may not have chat-rooms.

Also we can't just appoint any mods - they have to be trusted, and it takes a long time for you to become a mod, and also a long time for us to select mods.

But if we do select mods, I'd rather have them having full mod-powers rather than just chat only...

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 8:10am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

I'd rather have them having full mod-powers rather than just chat only...

I think there are actually enough mods on this site itself.
I just think there should be a separate group of mods for chats.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 7:28pm

MrWarlord

MrWarlord

11 posts

A chat room sounds really good! But I don't think it should be everyone piled into one chat room though. It should be a 2 or 3 way chat.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 7:31pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

A chat room sounds really good! But I don't think it should be everyone piled into one chat room though. It should be a 2 or 3 way chat.

AIM and MSN does this awesomely.

Also, bah, chatting.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 7:39pm

spacedingo

spacedingo

128 posts

It would be cool to have a make-one thingie, but it would be better if you could invite people that were only via a  invite system. Private chat. Click on someones name twice and you'd be able to chat privately with them.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 7:48pm

Outstanding

Outstanding

67 posts

So, here is the question. Is it going to be one whole chatroom for all? Or is it going to be where can we can chat with someone on are friends list? Or will it be both?

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 8:09pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

its merry way

... it? :o

It would be pretty cool, but there would be alot of problems:

1) Lack of Moderation (as mentioned previously)

2) Size: A whole bunch of people get on and you expeirence major laggage.

3) Message Save/Delete: If I post something, would it be saved and people could go see it, or would it auto-delete after, say, 25 messages have been reached? If I posted something ban-worthy, and messages auto-delete, I could just spam to cover it up.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 8:12pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

1) Lack of Moderation (as mentioned previously)

Have a different set of people moderate the chats.

2) Size: A whole bunch of people get on and you expeirence major laggage.

Make more than one chat room.

If I posted something ban-worthy, and messages auto-delete, I could just spam to cover it up.

If someone spams on a chat room you can just silence them.
For an example on the xat chat rooms you can turn protect on then the guest cannot talk for 3 minutes.

Posted Dec 12, '10 at 8:16pm

StrategicCaptain

StrategicCaptain

347 posts

I Think this is a fantastic idea! But we should have the option because somtimes it Lags BAD!! There should be a chatroom for each AP Point section like all squires there and knights go there and kings are there and so on!