ForumsPopular MediaBest Album of 2010

23 6991
parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

So, this year is (finally) coming to an end, and with it all of the releases that it has brought us. Discuss, what is the best album that was released during this year?

I didn't hear much stuff that was released this year, but I believe that Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini gets the cake. It has even more progress than their previous releases and was a plainly fantastic album. Enslaved are Black/Viking Metal for anyone that wants to check 'em out. : P

The album can be any genre you like, about any artist you please. It just needs to have been released during 2010.

• 23 Replies
FryLock19
FryLock19
1,312 posts
Peasant

Mojo by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. It was 35 years in the making, and it sounds fresh and bare-bones. Here's some songs from it.

I Should Have Known It
Jefferson Jericho Blues
Something Good Coming
Running Man's Bible

eirwen
eirwen
172 posts
Nomad

Hmmm. I think that One Republic's was the best given how much I listened to it this last year. XD

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Hmmmm . . . Gonjasufi's A Sufi and a Killer, Beach House's Teen Dream, Alcest's Ecailles de Lune, Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit, The Black Keys' Brothers, and Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma would be my picks. All of them are either alternative, experimental, metal, or a mix of those. And they're all awesome.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Personally Suddenly by AllStar Weekend because they are the only modern band I listen to. Every other band I listen to is from the 60-80's. Right now I am listening to Hotel California.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

Recovery - Eminem?

~RR~

FryLock19
FryLock19
1,312 posts
Peasant

Recovery - Eminem?

If I had to pick my favorite hip-hop album of the year, I'd pick Recovery. However, my overall pick in Mojo because rock music obviously takes more talent. I mean, Eminem is one guy. The Heartbreakers are five guys playing different instruments all in synch. Yes, you have to have a good eye for which songs to sample ("Going Through Changes" was an excellent example of that), but in the end, rock music requires more than just singing.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Only one I can name off the top of my head would have to be E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies) By the Black Eye Peas. Typical stuff from the artist, with a future/techno beat. One of the few Hip-Hop Groups I can listen to without my ears bleeding, so thats always a plus.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Recovery as best hip-hop album? Noooooooooooooooo D:

A Sufi and a Killer is much much better. It's a much different flavor of hip-hop, as it's more musically focused and less rapping-focused, but still hip-hop, and the insanely seamless, acrobatic genre-blending on that album puts it on top. Funk + hip-hop + pop + middle-eastern folk + rock + lots of cool sampling + a lot of avant-garde tendencies = best hip-hop album of the year.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

Recovery as best hip-hop album? Noooooooooooooooo D

agreed lol theres lots of better albums out then that. hell kanye west's "my beautiful dark twisted fantasy" SMASHES pretty much everything out right now. its SOOOOO good.

The lady killer by cee-lo green is up there, katy perry's teenage dream is also up there.

emarosa's "emarosa" is some of jonny craigs best work yet.

overall i think the best album of the year is K'NAAN's "troubador" truley an insperational album, and im not just talking about waving flag i mean ALL the songs on that album
slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager simply because, in my opinion, all Kid Cudi songs are good in this album.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Another awesome album is Four Tet's There is Love in You. It's one of the most inventive electronic albums I've ever head, and the sampling work is truly genius. Angel Echoes, Love Cry, and Sing are just brilliant.

assassin89
assassin89
1,303 posts
Nomad

This is a very hard one ive discovered some awsome albums this year. Im gunna have to go for Revolution by Miranda Lambert. Its a really beautifull rootsy country album that ive listened to all year. I mean it i would listen to it now if my CD player wasnt literally falling apart. The House That Built Me and Makin' Plans are the best songs on the album they are very mellow acoustic songs. There are so many other brilliant albums ive listened to this year but thats the one that really stands out give it a listen.

FoodYum
FoodYum
32 posts
Nomad

I'd say Nightmare by A7X. They're a good band that makes nice music.
Great Hard rock/ Metal.

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

I actually have changed my mind.

I recently got "Aquarius" by a band named Haken, and it's one of the most incredible albums I have heard on a good time. It's just amazing that it's a debut. o_o

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Aquarius is really great, yes. I would say my three favorites of the year are Beach House's Teen Dream, Alcest's Ecailles de Lune, and . . . . . . Gonjasufi's A Sufi and a Killer. Yeah. All of them are amazing albums, dream pop, shoegaze black metal, and funk/pop/rock/middle-eastern folk/experimental hip-hop, respectively, and I highly recommend them all.

Showing 1-15 of 23