ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 Calendar: January 12, 2011. Codename: Flamberge - coming tomorrow!

56 12260
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamberge

Since our beta release today fixed a lot of minor issues, we decided to wait until January 10th to name our next 'sword' release: Flamberge.

Our standard timeline generally looks like this. All times are in Pacific Standard Time, relative to our office. These times aren't set in stone, by any means, I only write it up here to give everyone some idea of what our typical day looks like for a beta release.

8:30am, we're all in the office, getting coffee or Diet Dr Pepper, and coordinating our morning events, squishing last-minute bugs. We furiously test our code internally on several operating systems and browsers to see if there are any specific layout/render bugs we need to fix.
9:00am, I flip a switch on the database to increment the next beta phase, and migrate new users to our mailing list software. Any users signing up after that will have to wait until the NEXT beta release to get an invite code.
11:30am, lunch time. BLT's all around.
12:30pm, we reconvene to do a final status check on our code, see how everything looks on our test server, and work furiously to fix last-second problems.
1:00pm, I generally start tweeting our status, what we're working on, and issues we see.

Between 1pm and 5:30pm, we get all of our code checked in, deployed to our production servers, start preparing our newsletter and get ready to queue up any invite codes.

The newsletter will explain more about what we've been working on, what's in the new release, that sort of thing, but does NOT include beta invite codes. Invite codes are always sent in a separate Email to users.

---

Our last beta invite code cut off was about 1pm today, December 28, so any new beta signups after that time should get an invite code on January 10th when we release our next software update.

Larry and I talked briefly yesterday about when we want to just send beta invite codes as soon as you sign up for the beta. No time line for it yet, but at some point, we won't make you wait for a beta code any more. Or we might just take down that spiffy blue "front door" and just let you access the beta site directly if you want.

It's important to note up front that several things will seem "missing" from the site, such as the forums, etc. This is to be expected, because we're rolling out the beta in phases where we add new features every two weeks or so.

---

Found a bug? Found something you absolutely love-omg-squee-happybacondance? Please post it on GetSatisfaction for us. The rest of the webdev team is deathly allergic to lurking in the forums, but posting a message on GS will send an Email update to everyone, which usually gets priority over other things we're doing.

• 56 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Update, we're going to do our beta releases on Tuesdays now, instead of Mondays.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

wow... it feels like the new beta releases are coming waaaaay to fast... but thats good!

awwwwww!!!! please don't take away the special blue wall!! it feels more like a beta if you have to sign up!!

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I love all these cool names you guys are using for the beta releases.

I also like how they beta releases are coming quickly. I just can't wait 'till the actual site is up and running for everybody to experience all the features.

So far though it's really good. I haven't experienced any problems with it at all.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

wow... it feels like the new beta releases are coming waaaaay to fast... but thats good!

It seems like only yesterday that Ian E-mailed me on the 18 about being a Closed Beta tester... I'm sorry guys I think I need some tissue... *cries*
kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

So this is the last beta?
If it's completely open without that front door it will get a good test of what AG3 will be like, just without the people who don't know about it (ghosts, and spammers maybe) and that will be epic win.

caffeine101
caffeine101
87 posts
Nomad

its not the last beta. we have more to releases to come !

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

we have more to releases to come

The last codename should be Excalibur, with no extra releases and no launch of AG3 live until it is complete, because Excalibur is the best!
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

LOL Frank, that'd be cool.

But we are keeping with the sword theme, and as James said, we have more releases planned. We've tried really hard to keep with a 2-week release cycle, which I think we've only missed once.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Aww it's okay, I'm sure no one cares whether it is a day-a week late. More delays only leaves room for more perfection! You guys are wokrin' hard an' tha's all tha' matters.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

More delays

They mean that when it actually arrives, it's a ton better because of the suspense.

The last codename should be Excalibur

keeping with the sword theme

Excalibur *is* a sword though...
Unless Cormyn was agreeing, I couldn't tell.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, I was agreeing it'd be a cool idea, but we've committed internally to just naming our releases after types of swords like rapiers, flamberge, etc.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

So types of swords instead of a name of a sword. What type of sword is Excalibur then? You guys could name the last release that.

It seems I've missed a lot the time I wasn't here.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

happybacondance

This is what I will do when AG3 goes live for everyone.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

(deleted several off-topic messages)

Guys, the point of these threads is to discuss the release itself, not what we call it, or to post support questions about unrelated topics.

kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

Guys, the point of these threads is to discuss the release itself, not what we call it, or to post support questions about unrelated topics.

That was 50% of this thread. lol

Well, I might post my bugs today if I get around to it...
Showing 1-15 of 56