Forums

ForumsGame Walkthroughs

Gemcraft Chapter 0 - an In-Depth Walkthrough

Posted Jul 18, '11 at 8:34am

vesperbot

vesperbot

986 posts

10k trap damage is only 50k tower damage. Tedious indeed. "Kill gem" is the supergem that has an outstanding damage. There can be more than one such gem, of course. And no, not RO gems but RY gems should be supergemmed to this extent. You can keep grade 5 mana farm, yes, and do mana pool like crazy, this will net you a big enough multiplier to earn 28m score per wave. And yes you're definitely underangering, but the best time to anger high is already passed, it's prior to wave ~50 when you should anger very high. Do not be afraid even of 1000000 (1M) HP monsters, I did that once being very weak in gem skills, and had 300 monsters in that wave, I did expand into grade 10 L/Y gems dealing 2k each, and in fact I did wrongly that time - but I beat them, earning me ~6M exp in total.

Posted Jul 18, '11 at 9:49am

XxSurgedxX

XxSurgedxX

10 posts

Amazing walk through will use it when I get to play the actual game ^^

Posted Jul 18, '11 at 7:49pm

enfance

enfance

15 posts

vesperbot, I finished that run with 350k X3 score, which helped me gained lots of levels.

Right now, I am in a run at wave 46 with 8M, trying to kill the 200 giant monsters with 1M hp. The only difficulty now is making correct prismatic gems. I don't understand that part of the guide. I should max g7 prismatic gem and combine those? And alignment doesn't seem to work all the time. The guide also say that I should not go beyond g11. However, I read elsewhere that prismatic need to be at least g11 to be effective.

Posted Jul 20, '11 at 6:12am

fractalman

fractalman

433 posts

yes, you should make grade 11+ prismatic gems.  they are the uber-gem, but they are also uber-gluttons.  You may even need to make them grade 12 to make sure the firerate maxes out, if you happen to get an inventory with mostly reds and yellows. 

once you make the prismatic, drag+combine red, lime, and yellow gems onto it to "activate" those specials.  that is, you will move the pure gem, not the prismatic. (use grade 6 pures).  you must also do this in the tray;  If you do it in traps/towers, the results are unpredictable. 

grade 14 is about the best you can do in terms of damage/click; grade 9 if you're making gems to supergem with. so go beyond grade 11 if you have the mana.

Posted Jul 20, '11 at 11:38am

enfance

enfance

15 posts

thanks, fractalman. i did what the guides said: supergem g7 prismatic and combine 2 together. so my prismatic's speed is already 279 at g8 in tower.

so g14 prismatic has higher damage than g11 when i supergem them? what if i go beyond g14?

Posted Jul 20, '11 at 4:45pm

fractalman

fractalman

433 posts

grade 11-14 mass-produced gems are optimal once you have lots of mana.

grade 15 might be slightly more damage/click; but again, only if you have TONS of mana, as it's definitely less damage/mana. 

past grade 15, however, you start throwing too much damage away, and you get less damage/click. 

as for making grade 7 and combining...I never do that.  supergemming a grade 8 prismatic with grade 6's is dangerous; if you mess up, you'll make a grade 7, and the grade 7 will kill your gem.
also, you can "flip" a super-gem to a higher grade without loosing damage, if the high-grade is at least 2 grades above it; i.e. if your grade 8 has 15,000 max damage, you can combine it with a grade 10, and only abit of  the damage from the grade 10 will be lost. 

and in a rather unrelated tip: two red/orange traps is the easiest speed start; just supergem one while the other gains you some mana. One gem is a bit better (i.e. faster), but it's a lot more prone to catastrophic failiure if you don't know what you're doing.

Posted Jul 20, '11 at 5:20pm

enfance

enfance

15 posts

you are totally right, i can only alight the prismatic in the tray.

I always supergem using g1s.... i thought this is more effective. it cost about 5000 mana to get 250 more dmg w/ g1, but 144,000 mana to get 2000dmg w/ g6. i dont get why you say that "only if i have a tons of mama"? right now i am at wave 30 on #12 with g6 RO maxed supergem in every trap and 800 monsters on screen. i dont think i can run out of mana.

nice to know that i can flip a prismatic supergem to higher grade 2 grades at a time, so i dont need to build 16 prismatics to get a g11 prismatic supergem.

for startup, i always fill half of the spots with traps and g3 orange. then upgrade to g4 orange, then g5RO, then fill all spots with g5RO, then start supergeming. so i should start supergeming an RO as soon as i have a few traps?

Posted Jul 21, '11 at 3:56am

fractalman

fractalman

433 posts

it is more cost effective to use grade 1's. 

...but it takes FOREVAH!(sic)...at least once you get the mana farm going.

so basically, yeah, you should start supergemming an RO right away.  two traps. three if you're really nervous.  however, after you make a total of 2-6 supertraps, you can switch to making ordinary red/orange gems of inreasing grade, simply because it's faster in terms of clicks. 

...wait a second...why in the world would you need to build 16 prismatics to make a grade 11 supergem? Just insta-fill the inventory with grade 6's, and combine all! Once you get 144000 mana capacity, and are filling it up every few frames, you can mass-produce grade 11's...and if all gems are availalble, it will most likely be a prismatic.  if all gems are not availalbe, then just add the other components in after making it, but before supergemming it.

Posted Jul 21, '11 at 4:05am

fractalman

fractalman

433 posts

...I should probably mention,  you'll want to anger the monsters so the minimum armor is approximately equal to your minimum trap damage. That's about the best rule of thumb you'll EVER find for angering.  (all other anger tips require experience-based intuition, or number-crunching).

You'll also have to cast mana pool with spare mana. It increases the multiplier of orange, after all.

Posted Jul 21, '11 at 9:12am

enfance

enfance

15 posts

minimum trap damage? are you talking about RO supergems? or the prismatic supergem in trap?

Reply to Gemcraft Chapter 0 - an In-Depth Walkthrough

You must be logged in to post a reply!