ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 Calendar: January 25, 2011. Codename: Longsword

67 13384
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

All times are in Pacific Standard Time, relative to where our office is located. These times aren't set in stone, by any means, I only write it up here to give everyone some idea of what our typical day looks like for a beta release.

Our next release will be Tuesday, January 25th.

8:30am, we're all in the office, getting coffee or Diet Dr Pepper, and coordinating our morning events, squishing last-minute bugs. We furiously test our code internally on several operating systems and browsers to see if there are any specific layout/render bugs we need to fix.
9:00am, I flip a switch on the database to increment the next beta phase, and migrate new users to our mailing list software. Any users signing up after that will have to wait until the NEXT beta release to get an invite code.
11:30am, lunch time. BLT's all around.
12:30pm, we reconvene to do a final status check on our code, see how everything looks on our test server, and work furiously to fix last-second problems.
1:00pm, I generally start tweeting our status, what we're working on, and issues we see.

Between 1pm and 5:30pm, we get all of our code checked in, deployed to our production servers, start preparing our newsletter and get ready to queue up any invite codes.

The newsletter will explain more about what we've been working on, what's in the new release, that sort of thing, but does NOT include beta invite codes. Invite codes are always sent in a separate Email to users.

---

Our last beta invite code cut off was about 10am on January 11, so any new beta signups after that time should get an invite code on January 25th when we release our next software update.

It's important to note up front that several things will seem "missing" from the site, such as the forums, etc. This is to be expected, because we're rolling out the beta in phases where we add new features every two weeks or so.

---

While this is subject to change, our next release may include some of the following:
- see how you rated a game on AG2, and update your rating to whatever you'd like it to be now
- updating the utility bar to show you when users reply to your activity stream messages
- search results page (whoops, we released that one early, lol)

---

Found a bug? Found something you absolutely love-omg-squee-happybacondance? Please post it on GetSatisfaction for us. The rest of the webdev team is deathly allergic to lurking in the forums, but posting a message on GS will send an Email update to everyone, which usually gets priority over other things we're doing.

• 67 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It seems like it was only yesterday that the AG3 beta was just released.
I like how you guys are doing these updates every two weeks. Adding new features for us to test is always good. I like seeing all the new things on the beta. So far it's just great.
I myself haven't found any bugs on the updated beta yet. But I'll make sure to post any bugs on GetSatisfaction.

I like the new name you guys are using and all the older ones were great as well. But with the title on this thread I noticed that you left out the "d" in "Gladius", right now it's reading "Glauis".

Yum!
Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

While this is subject to change, our next release may include some of the following:
- see how you rated a game on AG2, and update your rating to whatever you'd like it to be now
- updating the utility bar to show you when users reply to your activity stream messages
- search results page (whoops, we released that one early, lol)

Nice. With this things at least some part of the new site will be ready. I haven't found any bugs yet but everything can happen.

By the way, I was playing a game and I collected the sword Gladius.I thought it was just coincidence but it was the real sword.
kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

So far i only found one bug but it was fixed.AG3 is great and pretty bug free.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

mrtim, correct, updated ratings on AG3 will NOT come back to AG2. Just like everything else done by users on the AG3 beta right now, nothing you do there will impact what happens here at AG2.

Some of the behind-the-scenes work I'm doing on game management on AG3 will actually be the first time we'll manage something 100% at AG3 and migrate that data back to AG2.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Thanks for choosing the name I recommended! =)

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Some of the behind-the-scenes work I'm doing on game management on AG3 will actually be the first time we'll manage something 100% at AG3 and migrate that data back to AG2.

That's impressive.

Anyway, I can't wait for it, and I like how you guys do updates often.
kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

Cool, the sword that conquered Europe. I look forward to Beta releases cause they are fun!

Try a BLT without the LT.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Just bacon? The codename is Gladius, not Gluttonous...

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Sounds great. I love gladii and Ancient Rome. I'll be busy testing as soon as the new features are rolled out.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

What's a "BLT"? And this new BETA sounds coolnesness!

JDR3000
JDR3000
179 posts
Nomad

a "BLT" is a sandwich:

BREAD
BACON
LETTUCE
TOMATOE
BREAD

XDownFallX
XDownFallX
75 posts
Nomad

i kinda want a BLT now...

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Sorry cormyn but I gotta replay to th BLT) I don't eat bacon, maybe turkey bacon but no pork... so id it a TLT? Or a TBLT?

But I gree with knight it seem like about a moth or so that beta was released oh wait it was! But now it is every two weeks anew one! Sheesh it is realy going!

I got question teacher cormyn *raises hand*, cormyn: come on you a miter person you don't need too raise you hand just say it or well type it!, but any ways what is it!) Uhm do you guys test the beta site with the moblie OS and browser? Like with android and stuff cuz the site is hard to even get on to with this phone!

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

yeah I've noticed it too there are lots of on rollover things that screw up on touch sceens.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

it seem like about a moth or so that beta was released oh wait it was

Actually, our first publicly-accessible beta was launched on November 22nd, almost two months ago.

do you guys test the beta site with the moblie OS and browser?

Not yet, but we have thought extensively about making a mobile-friendly skin for the site for communication purposes only. Unless you're on an Android device, 'cause then you can actually play most of the games.
Showing 1-15 of 67