ForumsNews and FeedbackCommittee(s)

9 3167
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

So I had this idea like a year ago back when I was a major newb and it went like this...

So what if when had like a "Committee" for different things. Such as game ratings that would count more or if Mods or Admins got overwhelmed at on point then a "Committee" could step in to help out with things like that. Now with the latter of the examples I don't mean giving them all of the privlegs of a Mod or Admin or even ever. Just that their accounts could be activated to be shown as part of that "Committee" to work on what ever problem.

This is not the only use for them. You could have a "Committee" that creates, runs, or shuts down Contests, or Events.
I know that people could do this themselves but I think it would be easier to be recgonized as being part of that. This way people would not only stop need to ask but also when a person wins something then they themselves can give that person a reward, or have a button that tells a Mod or Admin with a generic message.

So there could be many uses for this and I think it could be helpful in many ways. I hope you guys at least consider my idea. Thanks for your time!

• 9 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I don't really get what you're saying. Do you mean like a temporary mod or something?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Contests and events can be held by anyone, and only mods/admins can shutdown said events. Unofficial ones of course--I believe the official contests are ones that involve merit prizes. Correct if wrong!Then there's the part about when you win a contest that contains a merit prize. If a user wins a contest, they are prompted to tell a mod that they won. I'm not sure in this case which would be faster, but of the haiku contests I judged, those merit winners got their merits in one day.

The thing with this is, whatever the moderators or administrators' decisions are, goes. The mods are trusted nearly 100% of the time. So if the administration could trust a committee to do things like this...why not trust them enough to be mods?

wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

I don't really get what you're saying. Do you mean like a temporary mod or something?

Well only with that idea. But pretty much yes.

why not trust them enough to be mods?

Not so much as not trusting them but it could be used to also be on a closer look out. This could be used as a "you have a very good chance to be a Mod" type of thing. I know the rules say don't ask but if someone tries and goes crazy saying they got in then that would say that they probably cannot be trusted.

Contests and events can be held by anyone, and only mods/admins can shutdown said events. Unofficial ones of course--I believe the official contests are ones that involve merit prizes.Then there's the part about when you win a contest that contains a merit prize. If a user wins a contest, they are prompted to tell a mod that they won. I'm not sure in this case which would be faster, but of the haiku contests I judged, those merit winners got their merits in one day.

Well with the new system in place Merits may no longer be availablbe and this might be a better opption than just having a Mod or Admin run it. This way they need not worry all the time about whatever it is and whats in their personal life. Now I also understand that they are prompted by a judge. Perhaps the Judge(s) are have some personal problem and thy miss the deadline. Then what happens if they can't come back?

This idea is flawed but I would enjoy seeing some others post to tell more about the flaws. Not everything can be perfect but I would like to see people trying to make ideas better.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Not so much as not trusting them but it could be used to also be on a closer look out. This could be used as a "you have a very good chance to be a Mod" type of thing. I know the rules say don't ask but if someone tries and goes crazy saying they got in then that would say that they probably cannot be trusted.

I don't think being in a specific group or having a particular status means you're anymore eligible to be a mod. Knight_34 is a closed beta tester, but that doesn't mean he has a higher chance of being the next mod or is first in line to be one or anything. If the team has the confidence that the committee can handle the tasks that they would expect from a moderator, then the team should just make them moderators.

Well with the new system in place Merits may no longer be availablbe and this might be a better opption than just having a Mod or Admin run it.

Then I'm not sure what the purpose of the committee's notifying the mods that they won the contest deal, if there is the event that merits will no longer be here. Who knows, maybe there's going to be an achievement for this sort of thing. That might actually be nicer, since I am predicting the achievements will be viewable. But that's just me. Pretend you heard nothing

Perhaps the Judge(s) are have some personal problem and thy miss the deadline. Then what happens if they can't come back?

If the judges do not meet the deadline and do not post the results, then, for the time being, no one has won anything.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Like Freak said, if we trust someone enough to be a mod, we make them a mod. There's no "committee" level of user access being planned.

But yes, all achievements on AG3 will be viewable, and will be published to your activity stream when they happen so your friends and followers will be able to leave replies (hopefully of congratulations, heh)

I do sort of like the idea of the 'judge' role for user-created contests. We'll have to see whether we can make a contest forum type where the user who creates a forum thread (one per contest, probably) becomes the judge of the contest and can declare a winner. I'm not sure those contests would award an actual Achievement of any sort, since the forum would get spammed heavily trying to give each other achievements.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I'm not sure those contests would award an actual Achievement of any sort, since the forum would get spammed heavily trying to give each other achievements.

I'm sure it could be possible to request to be a judge of a contest, much like how (maybe in the future) where users will request to upload a specific armatar for their choosing. If you think about it, the requests to be judges for a contest could be much less frequent than armatar requests, so I don't think that will be much of an annoyance....and so any user who gets their request approved by a mod or admin will be able to declare a winner. You could also go even further by linking the user's &quotower" to that one thread, just in case there happens to be a bug where a user can grant prizes anywhere!

I'm not sure, I'm kinda iffy. I mean, the only &quotower" a judge has is to declare a winner, and it's the winner him/herself that actually goes to say "hey I won X contest can I have my prize?" So the only downside to what can happen now is if said mod/admin is not active for that day and that comment is buried in others. I keep quoting this as a &quotower", since it compliments responsibility. :P
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I see now how the whole Mod Committee thing wouldn't work very well.
Perhaps this idea may still be used for another part of the site.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Constructive criticism is what makes ideas blossom! I can see the judge part working to an extent, so long as there's a hefty requirement for it.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

II see what he is saying but I don't agree with having "commitees" for resaons that

1st off I do not thing think that any one should get any speical chance of being a mod we all get the same "chance" wether we like it or not, it is our pure actions that tell a mod/admid if some one should or should not be a mod.

2nd I think all these thing you've named are the job that the mods and admids do and have the special power there for to help them in doing it, so you do not run in to any of the trouble that would need a "commitee" to ask a mod to do.

3rd I see that it seems (I said seems) that the mods can handle all the worl they volantered for, and that the normal users already do some of the "comittee" stuf like welcoming and helping the newbies (sometimes more than the mods, no offence mods just saying) and help the mods with small things that are doable.

And 4th of all if the mods want to "train" some one up I think they ithere need to strate out tell them and show them how it works and such and when there ready modify then (or we'll make them a mod! Lol don't make any one a GMO!) Or train them with out teling them in a hinting type of way if ya know what I mean.

But the idea is a nice and good idea, in a perfect Armor games this would sorta work, but then we would all be mods or admids! Lol! But I think that we as users should give to the communaty and help any one how needs it, and stay on our best behaveuor (cildren JK)! But I like the idea still but meybe if we can find some other way of doing it all...

Showing 1-9 of 9