ForumsGamesWASD vs Arrow Keys

537 164168
silvermoon123
silvermoon123
855 posts
Nomad

Do you use WASD or the arrow keys? Why is WASD even an option? Why are arrow keys so superior? Questions like these and more can be posted here, as well as lots of answers! Give your opinion on these basic movement controls below!

• 537 Replies
WinteryTrance
WinteryTrance
58 posts
Nomad

Arrow keys addict here. But of course mouse is way better if used to control a spaceship on a top-down shooter or something like that b/c it just gives a more realistic feel if you can move the spaceship with the mouse instead of the keys. Also you can react quicker (mostly) if you use the mouse and that can be effective in dodging multiple fast projectiles all at once on the screen.

This thread should be made as a 3-way battle between the WASD keys, arrow keys, and the mouse in my humble opinion even if mouse is not considered as "keys" b/c some games give you the option to use mouse as controlling option. ;]

Cristalfox
Cristalfox
142 posts
Blacksmith

To me arrow keys are better but my sister is left handed so she uses WASD. And all depends on the game and what is given in the game ( if arrow keys are given I use those and if WASD is given I use the WASD ), but I prefer arrow keys like I said .

Kusic
Kusic
184 posts
Peasant

It's just a gamers choise, nothing more .

Thegentilman
Thegentilman
7 posts
Nomad

i love arrow keys !

scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

It depends on the game, because i play on my laptop, some games are hard to play with the arrow keys. But whenever i can i use the arrow keys.

Gez
Gez
26 posts
Nomad

ESDF is better than WASD. You can check your fingers are correctly positioned as your left forefinger will be on the left home key. (Ever noticed the little ridges or dots on the F and J keys? They are the "home keys" where your forefingers should rest. Every touch typing knows that.)

The other advantage that ESDF has over WASD is that it works for other keyboards layout too. It's compatible with French AZERTY and Italian QZERTY. Though only the arrow keys and numpad can be expected to be the same across all keyboard layouts, including DVORAK and non-Latin keyboards (Cyrillic, Arab, Hebrew, etc.).

When hardcoding WASD, you're forcing people to change their keyboard layouts if they aren't using QWERTY. It's better if you give the option to also use ESDF as an alternative, or better yet, allow full configuration of key bindings so people can use whatever they want.

Personally, I have an USB keypad which I put on the left side of the keyboard and I use 8456.

MasterAndrew100
MasterAndrew100
7 posts
Nomad

I'm left-handed so I prefer to use WASD

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

I'm left-handed so I prefer to use WASD

I am right-handed but I prefer using the WASD keys. I think they are better to play most of the games, specially the shooting ones. However, not all of the games have WASD as an option to control the character. The arrow keys are more for platform games or arcade games, in my opinion.
XyodudeX
XyodudeX
43 posts
Nomad

im amibextrous i can use both hands equally so i can use WASD and aroows

sasquatchcarrot
sasquatchcarrot
189 posts
Nomad

you don't have to be ambidextrous to use the WASD keys (all you do is move 3 fingers, doesn't meen your ambidextrous) i have no problem with WASD but i do like arrows, BECAUSE THEY'RE ARROWS! it makes more sense...

assasininsonny
assasininsonny
15 posts
Nomad

GhostofMatrix is right. I,m left handed and I played morrowind for 1 and a half a year (a game where u use wasd) and up to that time I did,nt change to arrow keys.

Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

it kind of depends on ur taste, and the game. But for me personally, i prefer the arrow keys.

Timmy33
Timmy33
330 posts
Peasant

ultimately it depends on the type of game, and if u r left handed or right handed

Cocada
Cocada
5 posts
Nomad

Arrow keys are much better, because if u take a closer look , the W from the wasd keys is not even straight up to the S like the down arrow is to top one.

Timm638
Timm638
12 posts
Nomad

i are right-handed and i use WASD O_O

Showing 91-105 of 537