ForumsWEPR[3-year necro]Time Travel is Impossible

55 24296
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

It is impossible to travel back in time. Not all time travel is impossible; it may be possible to travel forward in time.

Well, despite the terrible movie, the butterfly effect actually teaches something: that a butterfly flapping its wings can change the world. For example, if you place a ball at the top of a hill, even by changing the position of the ball by one millimeter, it could take a completely different course.

Basically, if you go back in time, even by breathing and changing the carbon dioxide to oxygen ratio, you could make something breathe another gas that may have a disease. That something could die from it, setting off a whole chain of events, changing the world in the long run.

Another thing associated with the time travel is the grandfather paradox. If you go back in time, kill your grandfather, and then you would never be born, thus creating a paradox. The universe cannot have a paradox. It is unknown what will happen, but it is known (by known, I mean pretty well accepted) that the universe cannot have a paradox occur, therefore, it eliminates the possibility of the paradox by just removing the factor that causes the paradox.

The butterfly effect and the grandfather paradox are connected as if you alter the universe by being in the past.

Now, one way to get around this is that by killing your own grandfather, you form an alternate universe, parallel to yours. It would be impossible to get back to the other universe as you would have to go back in time to where the skew occurred, but as discussed with the butterfly effect, it might create a universe parallel to the parallel universe.

Another solution is that somehow, your grandfather is still alive, even if his head was chopped off. It would be impossible to conflict the the determined outcome of time. That leads me to the question if it is impossible to conflict the the outcome of time, then you why would time travel be possible in the first place?

Just something to think about. If any of you can come up with a solution to travel back in time without a paradox, I will be amazed.

• 55 Replies
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Adding on to Maverick's list

4) Creating energy out of nothing
5) Finding the exact value of pi or e.

And 1 is escaping from inside the event horizon of a black hole - this gives me an idea. "New footage from inside the event horizon of a black hole!"

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

"New footage from inside the event horizon of a black hole!"

XD

On a praticle note, wouldn't the immense gravitational forces from inside the Black Hole exert such a force that the camera would be smashed beyond oblivion?
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

2) Traveling Faster than the Speed of Light

I would like to point out that recent theoretical physics questions this.
phsycomonkey
phsycomonkey
789 posts
Nomad

Pi might be found way in the future, true it is impossible to creat Energy out of nothing but out of air (not the force of air) itself we might find a way. I don't think anyone has been in a black hole in a while (never) so how do we know exactly what happens to organic lifeforms? (If they survive somehow) We may invent a way to travel that fast, people used to say it was impossible to go over 80 mph or go into space, your thinking just as people in the past have. "There is no way to make a picture appear in a box in color and change (video)" If you told that to people in 1812 90% would've probably agreed

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

On a praticle note, wouldn't the immense gravitational forces from inside the Black Hole exert such a force that the camera would be smashed beyond oblivion?

1. It's a camera made out of diamond. And we all know that diamond is the hardest substance.
2. It's tied to a string (made out of diamond, in case you were wondering) that is tied to a planet. So it can't get away.

OK - getting off-topic here.

And about the
0K is impossible to reach; it requires too much energy to lower the temperature that much, and its only theroectically possible in the furthest reaches of space

You're forgetting Cosmic Background Radiation.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Pi might be found way in the future

Nope - it's irrational and transcendental, meaning you can't express it as an algebraic formula, and it cannot be expressed as a fraction, and it is a nonterminating decimal whatever base you use (as a result of not being able to be expressed as a fraction).
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Pi might be found way in the future,

Pi is a number that goes on till infinity, and than infinity beyond infinity, and so on, and so on. IE, it doesn't stop, ergo, it is impossible to calculate.

impossible to creat Energy out of nothing but out of air (not the force of air) itself we might find a way.

That would be creating Energy out of something, and that something would be air. Just because you can't see an object, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Unless you mean the expression 'out of thin air'...

I don't think anyone has been in a black hole in a while (never) so how do we know exactly what happens to organic lifeforms? (If they survive somehow)

A Black Hole is home to immense gravitational forces. So strong, in fact, that not even light can escape from it. And the effects of a Black Hole would be horrible upon an organic life form:

Imagine a single cell in your body. Then, imagine every cell from your body being forced to occupy the space thhat single cell occupies. Then, once that happens, imagine that 'cell' being forced to occupy smaller and smaller spaces.

We may invent a way to travel that fast,

The EPR paper essentially solved the Quantum Question of its era, and sparked off the next generation of Quantum Scientist. It also states that nothing, any time, any where, no how, can surpass the speed of light. EVAR.

"There is no way to make a picture appear in a box in color and change (video)" If you told that to people in 1812 90% would've probably agreed

Thats like asking a Caveman about how the principles of Thermal Dynamics affect him. Yes, I agree in some parts with you. There are some things that are 'impossible' today, that could be possible tomorrow. But we're talking about a differen't type of impossible. This stuff will never happen, and its been proven, wheather by failed attempts, or very sound mathmatics.

But if you want to disproove me, you can start by carrying out Pi to its last digit, or calculate how much energy is released when nothing is destroyed (hint: E=mc^2). If your answer is above 0, than you've just prooved me wrong.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

you can start by carrying out Pi to its last digit, calculate how much energy is released when nothing is destroyed (hint: E=mc^2). If your answer is above 0, than you've just prooved me wrong.

Pi = 4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9...) (4 * arctan [1])

Do I win?
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

The 4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9) thing is the formula for (4 * arctan [1]), in case you were wondering.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I was sorta hoping for all the numbers, but you get a cookie for effort.

*hands cookie*

phsycomonkey
phsycomonkey
789 posts
Nomad

I didn't mean found so much as changed, but I'm just saying these things are possible. Personally I agree with half of your statements, my imagination just counters myself :O

End of pi is Righhhttt Ï <--- There jk... I just want a cookie

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

parrallel universes are in fact quite possible. everything in our universe vibrates at a certain frequency. so technically you should be able to put your hand through anything the molecules move around so quickly and since we vibrate at the same frequency as everything else, we cant, but theoretically we should be able to. it is said that if there are parallel universes we could be able to reach them by changing the frewuency at which we vibrate at. it is not known how or what these parallel universes have in them, but a theory may be that it is a portal to a different time period or even dimmension. it is also said that maybe the parallel universe could be an explanation for paranormal activity. my uncle used to be a scientist and was extremely smart at this kind of stuff. this is just some of the stuff that he has taught me.

WHAT??..tf..
Well there's the brownian motion of the molecules, but it is responsible for temperature, and it isn't the same for everything, so I guess that's not what you mean.. where the heck would there be place for a parallel universe? I mean ok, matter is mainly made out of void and forces, so it's not the place lacking, but it would greatly influence our world if there were any more forces acting we couldn't see; so greatly that the occasional &quotaranormal" thing can't explain that. I can't think of a way two universes could exist at the same place at the same time without influencing each other in a clearly measurable way.
Uproar
Uproar
333 posts
Nomad

I read through, and will keep my views on if it is impossible to time travel (To the Past), but i wanted to put forward a question.

If you kill your grandfather in the past (why you would i don't know),
but he is already deceased in the present;
how would that effect everything, you cannot kill what is not there.

If you do, the past is already set out, you are already a reality yourself.

Confused, i am.

I do believe though we should not tamper with what we don't know. Like reenacting the Big Band, even if the 'Do Not Press' button does look inviting.

opto
opto
75 posts
Nomad

time travel is fiction unyil there is actualy proof that we can go through time in a bigger scale(People) that useing micro molecules at insane speeds that no one for sure can even survive

sk8brder246
sk8brder246
740 posts
Nomad

"There is no way to make a picture appear in a box in color and change (video)" If you told that to people in 1812 90% would've probably agreed

i agree with this, with more technology, just about anything is impossible. hell, in 300 years our great great great great great, grandchildren would be like " can you believe that people were so stupid back then, i think i'll go back in time and ask them why they were so stupid" *whizzing sound, flash of light, then shiny cylindrical object is gone*
Showing 31-45 of 55