ForumsProgramming ForumAGame: initialize

25 10384
beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone

I've seen many posts where people would like to make a game, but don't know where to start, don't know how to program, or don't know what it really takes to bring a project all the way to completion. it is work. it takes time, effort, tools. but it is also fun and rewarding, and is usually a great learning process.

and i think i have an idea...

i would propose that we form a collective group and produce a real game, concept to completion. we would all participate in its production, debate on the genre, debate on the mechanics, debate on the graphics, theme, etc. - then split up the work into focused groups, build the pieces and ultimately submit the game here on AG. call it an open source game project, if you will - i've seen this done before and it can work.

i am a game developer, and build new games on a regular basis, i understand the process and what it takes to get to there, and am skilled in both programming and artistic works - but i will not be building this game - you will. i will act as the guide.

what i would like to know is this: is there any interest in creating a project like this? how many people can we get together? what skills do you bring to the table?

we'll need: artists, writers, programmers(AS3) and administrators

we'll also need to start with a brainstorming session, to figure out what genre of game to build, what the general theme of the game will be, what kinds of mechanics will be used, what kinds of characters, etc. there are many things to consider.

you also may join a group that you simply have an interest in, even if you don't have skills in that area. part of the point of this concept is to learn about what interests you, and a great way to do that is by participation with peers.

so, if you have an interest in being a part of a project of this kind, post to this thread what your skills or interests are, that you can use as part of the team. we will then form groups, and begin the real work, we'll keep threads going for each group and task, process, etc. this will only work if we have enough people willing to participate, it will take time, and effort, and there will be no deadlines, however we will keep a milestone list to keep on track.

what say you?

• 25 Replies
Thebester5
Thebester5
53 posts
Nomad

I can be a good administrator or writer, if it has nothing to do with flash.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

I spose I could help out a bit here and there, code & art-wise
What you should really have is some sort of wiki, rather than using the AG board... You can't really edit posts (or pages) here, so you will have to make a different thread related to say the Hero ideas, the Hero mechanics, the Hero artwork etc...

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

I have tried this once, with users from here but it ended up more about the excessive useless stuff like what do we call ourselves, how about a website, blah blah blaah. Anyways I think that first off we need to plan things down to the week, if we allow everyone to do what they want then it will be an a "Continuing Game Development" rather then a completed game. I say for the sake of simplicity and team unification, and strengthening we make a shooter they are the simplest to design and build and allow for alot of room for creativity both programmaticlly and artfully. SO if you need a decent artist I am here, I have some programming skills but nothing fantasitic, also if we do this I think Deviant Art will be a good place to develop they support flash files and have a good group system. There are also other flash game groups there, but we shouldn't spend tooo much time worrying about the formation of the group, but rather then setting the goals and scheduling for the game.
BTW I already have a group on DA for Armor Game Users but only a few of Us are active if ya'll don't want to go through the trouble of making a group there...Anyways if you find a better site for a group of game developers tell me

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I am willing to help out depending on the time scale for this project.

wildwolf111
wildwolf111
5 posts
Nomad

Let me be the devil's advocate here! From my tiny bit of personal experience with game developing: Too many chefs spoil the broth. A lot of the discussion usually end up not finding the best possible solution and instead the solution that makes everyone happy.

But again, I would say you have a great idea here if u can make it work.

beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

this is good at least there has been some interest in participation, and the thread has quite a few views, i betting that may who are following have not commented.

PixelSmash - yeah i hear that, it's tough to work code here, posting is equally difficult - and i don't think these boards were designed for anything other than general entertainment for the most part. i would suggest 'astebin' for code work and sharing, but i do think we can keep most communications here at AG - there are many many others out there, groups, forums, etc - and after all, the point is to work within 'this' community

Hectichermit - no kidding, too bad it didn't work out, i can certainly see how that can happen - often people get caught up in the 'were gonna make a million' adrenalin rush and don't usually get further than a name and logo LOL! i also believe we should have a schedule, but i do not think that it should be quite that strict. i work with deadlines every day, and no one in this project should feel like there is any pressure to complete 'on time' - no one is getting paid here, and i don't expect that the project should generate any revenue. sounds as though the art bin would be fine for exchange of assets - and nice group there, perhaps that can work as well

plasmafish - good deal, am glad you're interested in being part of the team

wildwolf111 - great, and yes there is always that contingency. i see this as the process: input/debate thread > vote > narrow focus thread > vote > task threads

going back to H's thoughts, i think it's important to site a 'time period' for ending each discussion/task - but generally, and not on a 'set' week to week schedule - more on that later... gtg

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I think the best kind of game is something like this. super easy to build the basics, but can be very complex if we want to make it awesome, like upgrades, complex enemy AI, lots of powerups, etc.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

To figure out the level of awesomeness that this kind of games can reach, take a look at this

beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

gab! what did we say about talking game type in this thread... LOL

- that's pretty fun though :P

beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

the second one is pretty cool - very good use of bitmap/pixel based system, runs well

Showing 16-25 of 25