ForumsProgramming ForumAGame: initialize

25 10396
beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone

I've seen many posts where people would like to make a game, but don't know where to start, don't know how to program, or don't know what it really takes to bring a project all the way to completion. it is work. it takes time, effort, tools. but it is also fun and rewarding, and is usually a great learning process.

and i think i have an idea...

i would propose that we form a collective group and produce a real game, concept to completion. we would all participate in its production, debate on the genre, debate on the mechanics, debate on the graphics, theme, etc. - then split up the work into focused groups, build the pieces and ultimately submit the game here on AG. call it an open source game project, if you will - i've seen this done before and it can work.

i am a game developer, and build new games on a regular basis, i understand the process and what it takes to get to there, and am skilled in both programming and artistic works - but i will not be building this game - you will. i will act as the guide.

what i would like to know is this: is there any interest in creating a project like this? how many people can we get together? what skills do you bring to the table?

we'll need: artists, writers, programmers(AS3) and administrators

we'll also need to start with a brainstorming session, to figure out what genre of game to build, what the general theme of the game will be, what kinds of mechanics will be used, what kinds of characters, etc. there are many things to consider.

you also may join a group that you simply have an interest in, even if you don't have skills in that area. part of the point of this concept is to learn about what interests you, and a great way to do that is by participation with peers.

so, if you have an interest in being a part of a project of this kind, post to this thread what your skills or interests are, that you can use as part of the team. we will then form groups, and begin the real work, we'll keep threads going for each group and task, process, etc. this will only work if we have enough people willing to participate, it will take time, and effort, and there will be no deadlines, however we will keep a milestone list to keep on track.

what say you?

• 25 Replies
Showing 31-30 of 25