ForumsNews and Feedback[Necro] Q&A forum

14 7865
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

On AG3, I think a forum similar to that of Yahoo! Answers would be a nice touch. If you're not familiar with it, someone asks a question, people answer it, and then after a while, the person who asked the question picks the best answer, the thread is locked, and the person who was chosen as the best answer gets extra AP.

• 14 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Well there's still lots of unanswered questions, but for example's sake, if it's adopting how AG2 is, then this sort of thing will be like the S&S forum. Keep in mind we get vote +/-'s!

Also AP may not be AP :P

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, if anything goes right, we don't actually need to ask questions to know about something, you could just go read the help page.

And depending on how the forum will be, there could be polls as well.

Yorgi
Yorgi
24 posts
Nomad

When AG2 will become AG3, what will be the consequences too the visitors of the site? Is it even possible to visit the site during that period?

Gr, Yorgi

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

What do you mean? You can still play games without registering in AG3. I'm not sure what's going to come out of that, but I'm sure AG3 won't be limited to just members. Guests will probably just have ads in place of the AS on the bottom of the game screen or something--kinda like how there are ads replacing the game comments on the right-side.

Other than that, I'm not sure what consequences you're thinking of. :/

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The switch from one site to the other should be nearly instant for everyone. Worst-case scenario, you'll still see the old site for 24 hours depending on where you live in the world and what kind of DNS setup your Internet provider has.

So you'll still be able to play the games, you'll still find people in Exit Path whether you're on AG2 or AG3, but we may need to shut off the forums and user/game comments a day before or something.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As for a Q&A forum, building it like an ask.com or Yahoo! answers might be unnecessary like Cenere said. We're going to work on an area of the site called "Ask a Moderator" and we'll probably build an FAQ area of the site based on questions submitted. We may be able to discern from the context of the message some general topics... for example, if we see a question like "How many points do I get ..." we can probably send them straight to an explanation page of how points and achievements will be rewarded, along with a link that says "this didn't answer my question" and let them submit it to a moderator, who will then issue a reply. Both the question and reply will be tracked for future context searches.

That's what we're looking to build this year, anyway.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Wow. Sounds like a good idea... beats both the "articals" and this topics ideas...
But will there be live mods? Or will some one (or more) look over it ever once in a while and answer the questions? It would be nice to see a notice in your AS (activety stream) or something telling you "such and such quistion was answer" and has a link, that way you would not have to check back all the time. But it seems that it could get so heavaly spamed... maybe we could make it so your question is raely a saerch eneigne for the "ask-a-mod" part of the site, and if the questoin you asked is not there then you post, like get satisfaction does.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

As for a Q&A forum, building it like an ask.com or Yahoo! answers might be unnecessary like Cenere said.

I don't think he means a server, just a forum where people ask questions, and other people answer them, like yahoo answers.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, there will always be live moderators on the site, both to answer those questions, and to moderate public comments on the site, and admins will be notified if ever a *private* user-to-user message gets flagged as spam/abuse.

The "ask a moderator" system will probably send you their answer privately to your Inbox *and* store a copy for review to see if we want to add it to our public FAQ system.

Jdogg, having a Q&A forum is possible, but not like it was described where the person asking the question can go back and rate the answers.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Jdogg, having a Q&A forum is possible, but not like it was described where the person asking the question can go back and rate the answers.

Ok, that makes sense. What if we had a 'rate up' button like we used to for comments, or something where you could vote for the best answer. A bit simpler that rating answers, but still complex.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Jdogg, an up-vote was in the original message, which I said we wouldn't do. )

The "ask a moderator" function won't get user votes, as there will generally be a single answer to every question. As admins/mods, we will be able to tweak the answer over time to fit the site's functionality as things change.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Well, if anything goes right, we don't actually need to ask questions to know about something, you could just go read the help page.

Please tell me you don't actually believe that.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Lol I know pazx! But can we maybe (like I said a long long time ago) do a "ad" for amor games that like is a tour of the site that like says "try this and that" and "and if you have a question go to the help section" and such that shows off the site... it would get more members and would get users to use secten part of the site more like the help or forums, it could also show off any post-release addtions to the site and stuff. It could be at the spot that the "fetured game" is and the game could be pull down the page a little. But still we might need big neon signs with arrows and 3D pop out of the screan stuff! And a loud as happy spokes man voice saying "go to the help setion for all your helpish needs!" And a big gerntee for eternal life in armor games* (*please assolt your dotor, and olny if we realy want to give it to you)or some thing... lol XD ROFL JK!

thisis17charcters
thisis17charcters
41 posts
Nomad

Surely you could just go to yahoo with questions if you want to copy it. I feel like they would have a game section there or something.

Showing 1-14 of 14