ForumsWEPRstrnadge thing about christianity

239 44545
meman
meman
275 posts
Nomad

the thing that it says if someone slaps you you give them another cheek to slap..but why do christians kill other relegions and themselves if they belive this?

• 239 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I don't see how people could even begin to interpret the bible as saying no war, ever.
There are some clear passages that advocate violence against non-believers. Granted, the passages are from the Old Testament, so anyone who isn't Jewish must die but the Christians readily adopted these books and consequently the principles implied in these books.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

True, but the Old Testament is to some believed to be screwed with. Also, people interpret it differently because it doesn't really mean kill all non-believers but some say it means do more harm to them if you must then your own believers. I dunno.

But, for example, its these misinterpretations that come through as people don't communicate well, as for example I was in in a mosque and there was some message saying "Do not have any non-believers as your friends, helpers, advisers, or fellow men -- all they wish to do is to harm you". Its junk like this that cause problems -- In the real Quran, [I kinda forgot the arabic word] it means people such as your Guardians. As in the long run with all the afterlife stuff a Christian guardian. As of course, because of the way they live they may put some Christian principles on you that aren't agreeable with Islam. Same goes the other way around.

THEN you get sects of other religions, problems, fighting, and well enough people that think the people following whatever religion that has done this out their start to hate it.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

That's a good point. Many of these old texts have more translational issues than you could shake a stick at. I'm not sure how many that is, but I know I can shake a stick at quite a few - it really depends on how they're lined up or grouped together, I suppose.
But with these gross misinterpretations I think it does prove 2 very interesting points: the bible (if it ever was) is no longer the divinely inspired word of god - given current translational issues, although reading the original texts could theoretically circumvent this.
Mistakes are easy to make when reading such a diverse series of authors and styles so how is a Christian to know what he/she is actually really supposed to do? Some very integral parts of the bible have been misinterpreted - most famously was Moses parting the Red Sea.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

It's not really important. The main message that a Christian should get out of the Bible is that Christ is Lord. But people look deeper and try and find too much meaning and guidance - in short, they try and rely on the Bible to answer every question they have. But it isn't life's tech support handbook - it's the instruction manual. It's not there to answer every question you might have, rather, it's there to give you general rules to live by. When you read the instruction manual of a game, does it explain every situation you'll encounter? No, you have to figure it out for yourself. (May not be the best example, what with the ability to download walkthrus all over the internet, but you get where I'm going.) The fact is, these people are weak-minded and are, in general, the reason it's so hard to be taken seriously as a Christian outside of America. I disdain...
Damnit, just broke my microphone cord. I have to type now >_>
I disdain organized religion. It's all one big money grab, and that's why I don't attend church services. God did not intend for us to abuse belief to get money.
Back to my earlier point, though, the Bible has a lot of good information on how to live your life, and even help with a lot of things that might come up - but most of the time, you need to just keep an open mind and use your judgement in every situation instead of relying on a Book.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, Running on a book isn't right. They tell you how to live your lives in a humane manner and keep yourself up. Not being an idiot. In some places, Organized religion is good. It puts the cash into the pockets you want them to go. You know, some church pastors of very rich areas are SUPER RICH. Thankx to the grabs of cash, There was a report about a Pastor in a mansion with a 22 Thousand Dollar Toilet. [Clap Clap] Its kreepy. I dont' say Organized religion is good, but for example when I go to my Mosque I usually pay up cash for Chairteh. ^^

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

Don't you think that is very hypocritical of christains?

Why do you "try" to help feed others and help needy people if you have so much money?

What does the money that you put in the basket really go to?

Do you relize your flaws and fix them or do you just say '"god" made nobody perfect' and forget your problems?

Why are you so quick to anger?

Why do you "belive" that any type of pleasure is a sin?

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^I'm a Christian and I don't go to church. I don't believe that any type of pleasure is a sin - if we're talking about sex, I believe God made sex pleasurable for married couples in the interest of procreation. In short, God wanted us to make babies, so he figured he might as well make it enjoyable. I'm appalled that you'd make sweeping generalizations like that. That's why I don't like atheists - you criticize Christians for being judgmental when you do the EXACT SAME THING.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

Yes I am judge mental but I do preach that I am not and I am not reffering to sex andhow do you know hat you are a christain if you don't go to church? and I am not an atheist.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

That's an interesting point, Skipper. Even 100 years ago you had to be a member of a church to be considered a certain religion and only about 20% of people were members.
How do we know someone is Christian or Muslim? Usually it's because they identify themselves that way, which is a big shift from the 19th century.
More and more we see people that have developed their own ways of worshiping god and that has become acceptable - maybe even normal.
We tend to view all people in Middle Eastern countries as Muslims, but obviously they're not all Muslim. It's almost as if now we assess religion based on location or heritage, rather than membership in a church.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I know that I am a Christian because I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. What more does it require? I am not required to be a part of the greedy, money-laundering church that has, in my opinion, been the biggest problem with Christianity for a long time.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Well, Depends on what you mean by middle east. 5% of Saudi Arabia is Christian/ Other. In Pakistan its about 2% Christian.

So you can ASSUME that people are Muslim, expeccially on the way they greet people. I once met a Christian man in the airport of Saudi Arabia. He didn't say Asalam-O-alaykum. I asked his religion, when he said Christian it was pretty tight, I got to see what the life of a Christian in Saudi Arabia is like. Thankfully, he's not persecuted.

Also, Moe, People can assume/guess what religion someone is. I usually assume every white kid in school I see is probably Christian of one kind or another. [Just based on thought]. But if i'm to say something based on religious concepts to them, I might as well know his religious orientation before I go farther. So usually, people just say its them.

Also, I agree with magamickel. What more to religion is there than belief in its thoughts? You don't need to be white for christian and black for either islam or christian. Its based on what you belief.

I would just prefer it if instead of people assuming and speaking they would assume and ask. I've been called a mexican/indian more times than I can remember. [Or Iraqi, but thats usually when someones being evil >.>]

BlueRogue
BlueRogue
4 posts
Nomad

I still hope theres no huge [b]genecide over one race or religeon. Like hitler performed

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Meh, that happens now today. It may not be as catastrophic, but in Israel, theres Genocide. In Africa, hell is breaking loose.
Its just not a world super power, but people are dying because of racial hatred, I just hope that never again turns into something as strong as a country like Germany leading the assault.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

Look, this is not the actions of a true Christian.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Didn't say they were.
I was just telling him about the racial genocide.

Anyway, The Actions of a "TRUE" Christian are hard for me to even understand. With all the different sects for just a small difference, which Christians actions are correct?

Showing 211-225 of 239