Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Worker Unions - Option to opt out?

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 6:55pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

In America, unions are meant to protect workers. I have a simple question. Should workers be allowed to opt out of their union contract?

That's it, simple question.

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 7:39pm

thelistman

thelistman

1,452 posts

The problem is that if you opt out, you would theoretically lose all the benefits the union has fought for.  It wouldn't be too fair to reap all the benefits but not pay into the union.  That's why there are many unions where it's impossible to opt out, or you still have to pay a smaller percentage to union dues. 

I know in Illinois, if you're a teacher but opt out of the union, you still have to pay 85% of the union dues anyways.  If people opt out, they are taking all the benefits gained over the decades without the sacrifice.

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 8:08pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

I know in Illinois, if you're a teacher but opt out of the union, you still have to pay 85% of the union dues anyways.  If people opt out, they are taking all the benefits gained over the decades without the sacrifice.

So how is this fair? If you opt out and you don't gain any of the benefits, why do you still have to pay for them?

What can we do if we don't support the union? What if we believe the union is abusing it's power to make money?

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 8:46pm

arkaninerenegade

arkaninerenegade

668 posts

I don't know a lot about unions, so can someone tell me what is the benefit of opting out?

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 8:56pm

samy

samy

4,338 posts

Should workers be allowed to opt out of their union contract?

I may actually agree with you on something, weird.

Unions should be optional, they should be legal beyond the shadow of a doubt but it shouldn't be something forced on you.

What if we believe the union is abusing it's power to make money?

Or to lower the quality of public education, not only do they fight to keep sub-par teachers simply because they have seniority but I feel like they take the focus away from the kids.

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 9:51pm

thelistman

thelistman

1,452 posts

So how is this fair? If you opt out and you don't gain any of the benefits, why do you still have to pay for them?

No, the problem is that if you opt out you still gain all the benefits (collective bargaining, tenure, benefits, 401K, etc).  It would be like getting a service done at your house, then opting out of paying after the work is done.  You can't take the benefits without paying.  The unions have worked for decades to give teachers a somewhat living wage and great pension benefits.  To opt out of the union would mean you're accepting all the work they've done, but not wanting to pay for it (or for any future work).

Posted Feb 21, '11 at 11:43pm

Kevin4762

Kevin4762

2,374 posts

Unions provide benefits for the workers but cause problems for the companies due to lawsuits. That's why they are outsourcing their work to China an India. If we take out Unions, we would have a better economy, but at the same time, a large working class. Hm. If only we had both.

Posted Feb 22, '11 at 8:32am

valkery

valkery

1,309 posts

If we take out Unions, we would have a better economy, but at the same time, a large working class.

I agree that both of those would be great things for America.

Unions are outdated, and to powerful. They are the product of an era where working conditions were horrible and people had to band together to right the wrongs of the workplace. However, we are now in the 21 century, and there are so many laws in place protecting the worker (granted, many of them are because of unions, but still...) that unions are no longer needed, in such strength to protect the average worker. I give Kudos to anyone who does not join a union.

Posted Feb 22, '11 at 11:05am

CoffeeshopFrank

CoffeeshopFrank

31 posts

Unions had a purpose in the past, but now they're hurting the economy because you can't fire somebody who isn't doing a good job, and because they make us uncompetitive with the rest of the world.  I think people should be allowed to join labor unions if they want to, but they shouldn't be required to join or pay union dues if they don't join.

Posted Feb 22, '11 at 8:52pm

Kevin4762

Kevin4762

2,374 posts

I agree that both of those would be great things for America.

Unions are outdated, and to powerful. They are the product of an era where working conditions were horrible and people had to band together to right the wrongs of the workplace. However, we are now in the 21 century, and there are so many laws in place protecting the worker (granted, many of them are because of unions, but still...) that unions are no longer needed, in such strength to protect the average worker. I give Kudos to anyone who does not join a union.

Yes, but humans rights could easily be violated. I can't preach to you since you are already a Libertarian. I think that lawsuits are just way to frequent and Unions should stop taking advantage of them. They can have it all they want, but they should have limits, just like the company.

If you make it harder for the Unions to sue, but harder for the company to violate human rights, you would be fine.

Reply to Worker Unions - Option to opt out?

You must be logged in to post a reply!