ForumsWEPRWorker Unions - Option to opt out?

19 5562
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

In America, unions are meant to protect workers. I have a simple question. Should workers be allowed to opt out of their union contract?

That's it, simple question.

• 19 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Unions have served their purpose, getting workers rights, very well. Once they finished doing that, they started fukking over the companies and their people. I know people who worked hard to get a raise, then the unions made the government raise the base pay, making it so the hard worker who just got a raise is still making the same as Joe Dirt sleeping his asz off next door claiming "disability due to chronic laziness", seriously.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Said human rights violations are illegal, Kevin. They cannot be violated period, with or without a union. Companies that would do that wouldn't get workers to begin with, and would be forced to shut down with the onslaught of the US government and people simply choosing to work elsewhere.

Unions are unnecessary for the simple fact that if you don't like it, unlike in years past, you can go work somewhere else.

The only exception I see are in service jobs such as garbage disposal (though they should be barred from strike), and heavy and difficult blue collar work such as oil refineries or steel factories.

During the Industrial Revolution, people worked eleven hours a day, disease was everywhere in the factories, and workers were payed 25 cents a day, which was barely anything.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

But he's saying we have laws to prevent that now.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

But he's saying we have laws to prevent that now.

You know why we have laws to protect that? Unions.

Let me give you a timeline.

Industrial Revolution Timeline:

Workers of the same trade begin working in a factory

Living conditions in those factories are poor

Workers do not like the living conditions in those factories

Workers form trade unions, or Unions, ad go on strikes to change the poor living conditions in the factories

Strikes are made illegal

Strikes continue, regardless of new law

Employers provide better conditions to workers in factories

Now, what you guys want to do, is make Unions illegal so that if working conditions in factories are poor, they cannot go on strikes to change anything at all.
Showing 16-19 of 19