ForumsPopular Mediarap lyricists

34 16831
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

this is the debate thread for who is the best rap lyricist of all time.

feel free to state your oppinion but just know that if you say eminem i swear to freaking god i will argue the hell out of you.

for me Rakim is the greatest rap lyricist of all time. his rhymes and lyrics were SOOOOO good. straight up poetry, metaphors, all that good junk. amazing stuff.

• 34 Replies
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

I think most rappers are talented when it comes to lyrics

ya i mean writing crap that lil wayne writes isnt the easiest thing, its mindless and pointless.

the thing about eminem is that he raps but it isnt really "lyrically" genious, like he raps and rhymes but he doesnt really use any rhetorical devices or stuff like metaphors and that jazz all to often. not to say he doesnt but i mean... here just look at this link and compare this song to eminem.
set it off by big daddy kane.

or this one. let the rhythm hit em by eric b and rakim

like its almost unarguable that these are written better then any song eminem has written
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

best rap lyricists
(criteria: strictly on how well they wrote there lyrics, influence not included)
1.Rakim (eric b. and rakim)
2.Big Daddy Kane
3.Notorious B.I.G.
4.Andre 3000 (outkast)
5.Nas

honorable mentions go to (in no particular order)
slick rick
jay-z
kool G. rap
Mos Def
Black Thought (the roots)
KRS one (Boogie down production)
eminem
ghostface killah (wu tang clan)
posdnous (de la soul)

there are more. too im just not going to put EVERY rapper on this list lol

Bearsal1121
Bearsal1121
290 posts
Nomad

It is definetaly eminem. Hear Like Toy Soldiers or We made You.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

i dont know hwy you said nas i think hes pretty poor, i think eminem is the best rapper ever but definately not the best lyricist ever

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

i dont know hwy you said nas i think hes pretty poor, i think eminem is the best rapper ever but definately not the best lyricist ever

the words that nas writes on paper are very beautiful. i mean eminem just writes about **** hes pissed off about. nas writes about a better future and the gang violence he was prior involved in. although there was that dis song he did on jay-z called ether that was SOOOO tight lol.

i think eminem is highly over rated and most white people only like him because hes a white rapper. hes good dont get me wrong but his rhetorical devices just make you pissed off and nothing else.
PracticalManiac
PracticalManiac
296 posts
Peasant

Andre Nickatina, you wont regret it. Unless you hate that kind of rap haha. It's sorta gangster rap but he has some good ones.

If you want something a bit more subtle i would have to say "A Tribe Called Quest" Easily one of the best!

PracticalManiac
PracticalManiac
296 posts
Peasant

Stopping back in to give my props to Dr. Dre

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

oh god yes a tribe called quest is AMAZING i have so much respect for them

PracticalManiac
PracticalManiac
296 posts
Peasant

I wish rap was still like that It's like they don't even try anymore. Anyone who is super conceited and can rhyme could be a famous rapper.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

it is a shame but there are rappers still keeping it alive.

POS, and atmosphere are probably my favorites from this age

PracticalManiac
PracticalManiac
296 posts
Peasant

Are you doing this for a possible rap battle? I think that was you in the other thread. And POS is really good! I'm going to check out atmosphere real quick.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

no i cant write lyrics for shiz i just wanted to start a thread that actually gives the true rappers credit

or do you mean the rap world cup? ya im thinking about it. idk yet though

PracticalManiac
PracticalManiac
296 posts
Peasant

lmao! Ya i ment the world cup haha! That would be an interesting thread. A thread of people rapping oh god I could imagine. And I'm with you I cant write at all :P

And I don't blame you for not making the thread, that is just work right there.

PracticalManiac
PracticalManiac
296 posts
Peasant

This guy is pretty cool but i don't know if your gunna like it.

It's called Agents of Change. This song bashes rap now a days lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1RAh30UZM&feature=related

I would ignore the bands related on the side because it's punk music you probably wont like either haha. But I love it >:P

But this song by him is a bit better lyrically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfHnhQkW0g&feature=related

metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

I'm sorry but the stuff that Eminem write is genius. I'd like to see you write something that is even 1/1,000,000th as good as the stuff he writes.

And not only is he one of the best lyricists in rap, he also has great flow and can rap better than most people out there.

Showing 1-15 of 34