ForumsPopular Mediarap lyricists

34 16837
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

this is the debate thread for who is the best rap lyricist of all time.

feel free to state your oppinion but just know that if you say eminem i swear to freaking god i will argue the hell out of you.

for me Rakim is the greatest rap lyricist of all time. his rhymes and lyrics were SOOOOO good. straight up poetry, metaphors, all that good junk. amazing stuff.

• 34 Replies
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry but the stuff that Eminem write is genius. I'd like to see you write something that is even 1/1,000,000th as good as the stuff he writes.

oh sorry if i gave you the wrong impression, i never meant to discredit eminem, because he IS an AMAZING rapper. it just bugs me when people put him at number one because he is NOT.

top ten yes, number 1 NO
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Eyedea. /thread

Eyedea is - well, was - insane. He was an amazing freestyler - one of, if not the best ever - and his studio stuff is amazing - great metaphors, fantastic wordplay, perfect flow and clarity, all of that.

CrossViper
CrossViper
481 posts
Nomad

Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear (ReMix)

Those into classic hip-hop should love this song.

Rampage and LL Cool J both are meh, but Mack, BIG, and Busta all kill it.

Microe
Microe
842 posts
Nomad

Nas and Z-ro are my favorite rappers hands down. Argue all you want.

sambam
sambam
452 posts
Nomad

I don't' think rap should be considered music. It's just not sung words to a beat .

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

I don't' think rap should be considered music. It's just not sung words to a beat .

then your clearly ignorant.

rap is deffinatly music, sure they dont sing but thats quite frankly irrelevent. many many early musical composers didnt have vocals and it was just music. and i highly doubt youll argue with me there. rap is deffinatly music and if you actually listen to the artists i posted and maybe a few of the links youll agree that the poetry in it far surpasses almost any other rock song. you cant let it get in your head that rap is just made of lil wayne, drake, and other crappy artists. cause its not, you just have to look a little harder cause your not going to find it on the radio.

if i may suggest a website for you so you can help your insight and actually here some good rap, id suggest Digital Dream Door. this is a VERY good website with all sorts of list. take a look, look up a few of the artists, get back to me

Nas and Z-ro are my favorite rappers hands down. Argue all you want.

idk why we would. nas kicks major ***. ether is one of the best diss songs ever
jroyster22
jroyster22
756 posts
Peasant

My top 5 Rappers...
1. Nas
2. AZ
3. Raekwon
4. Jay Electronica
5. Curren$y

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Oh, and eyedea links!

Song by Eyedea and his DJ partner Abilities, the two known as Eyedea & Abilities together (herp derp). Abilities is also a fantastic DJ/producer.

Burn Fetish

Oh, and he was also a great freestyler. Here's him winning Blaze Battle 2000 by utterly destroying the rapper Shells (Eyedea was 18 in this, and it is a little NSFW in places so be warned).

Kachow

jcsimpson
jcsimpson
17 posts
Nomad

Hands down it's gotta be O.D.B.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Heres some I like:

Lupe Fiasco
Z-Ro
Hoodie Allen
Knaan
SPM (South Park Mexican)

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Ohh i also forgot to metion that I like

Rick Ross
Drake
Nicki Minaj
M n M

Dont be hatin on me cause i like main stream rap (with the exception of most of lil wayne songs) I have a few underground rappers that I like to ( Three good examples are in my last post i.e Hoodie Allen, Knaan, and SPM)

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

also j.cole is anthoer one sorry for the spam posting but he is a really under rated artist and I think if peopel would just listen to his songs they would like him

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Personally, I don't care if Rap is music or not. Call it what you want. I like some Rap, but if someone asked me if it fit my definition of 'Music', I would say no. Rap is a little different to me, and I don't think it should receive the respect music gets with composition and words that follow the music. [This is not to say that I feel all non-Rap is 'Music', there's a lot of crap out there, too]. Just my opinion, though.

Anyway, to me, I feel that Eminem is the most influential and skilled rapper to date.
Reasons:
1) His raps are, at times, personal -- It helps give an insight as to who your listening to, and in a way, it can be argued that Eminem does more than just rap about whatever is on his mind/is mainstream, he can sometimes rap about life.
2) He's funny at times.
3) A lot of the things he says stick around as phrases.
4) I can understand him -- One of my least favorite rap artists are people like Lil 'Wayne. I never have any idea as to wtf he's on about, even if I can comprehend what he is saying.
5) This one doesn't mean much, but sales agree. He has 80 Million albums sold to date, making him one of the most successful artists of all time. [This is to back up his influence, not why I like him].

I've also liked songs from Lupe Fiasco, Drake, and a few other mainstream artists. My rap love doesn't really go underground, since I don't really connect that well with it.

Deathless950
Deathless950
1,943 posts
Nomad

Hip hop yesterday- Soldiers on the mike

Hip hop today- People that collect your money then talk about it

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Hip hop today- People that collect your money then talk about it

I get that there has been a new-age change in the meaning of the beauty of rap, but not all artists today are like that. There's still some good quality and meaningful rhymes out there
Showing 16-30 of 34